3/4 ton engines--advise me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be buying a used Chevy 2500 or Ford F-250. The engine will be gas (not diesel).
~~~So please stay on topic to those parameters. ~~~
The model year will be 2002-2008, 4wd, likely crew cab. I will be patient...watching several months if needed to buy a well maintained truck. I could go into my reasons for wanting the above, but don't want to take this off topic other than to say I won't be pulling over 4K pounds.
I'm not concerned about gas mileage. Power is probably not an issue for me.
I want reliability and longevity.
QUESTION: Within those parameters, are there any engines to avoid?? Any engines I should try and get??
Thanks for your feedback!

The 5.4 Fords have alot of horror stories. I like the one I got but I admit I really was afraid of it and almost didn't buy the truck because of it.
Still I see alot of high mileage ones around.
Don't know much about Chevy's.
So no comments.

In that year range I vote Chevrolet hands down. I've never been impressed with how the ford OHC engines tow in the 2500/3500 trucks.

Additionally the 6.0 gas engine in the Chevrolet has proven time and time again to be exceptionally durable. Mileage isn't a strong suit of them but they will and do pull hard day in and day out. I also prefer the was of maintenance on the Chevrolet vs the OHC Ford should you have to repair or replace anything.

The only other engine offering in that timeframe from Chevrolet is the 8.1L big block. Also not a mileage maker in terms of economy but it's my absolute favorite late model engine for something thats going to be worked hard. It was designed from the ground up as a HD light/medium duty engine and is used in trucks, motor homes, boats, moving trucks etc. It really doesn't get any better in a work truck engine.

Not attempting to highjack you but did you consider the Dodge with the Hemi.
That motor is bulletproof, powerful but soooo hard on gas.
They put a heavier dutier motor in thier 2500s than the 1500s.
Lower HP but better longevity.

Last edited:
Towing 4k and want a crew cab? Sounds like a job for an S-10, not a 2500
28.gif

Towing 4K I'd be looking at half ton gasser for better mpg. Regardless, GM 6.0 hands down. The Ford 5.4s are prone to issues. The V10 from Ford however are well respected, and still used today in the econoline chassis. You'll be paying for it at the pumps however vs the 6.0

4k lbs? Any reason not to get a 1/2 ton? Thats well within a 1/2 ton. I towed a 1992 Mustang on a UHaul car hauler a few months ago behind a '13 Silverado 1500 Z71 with the 5.3L. I estimate it was just over 5k lbs (technically over the rating, but within 10%) behind the truck and it did phenomenal. I went I-90 East over Snoqualmie pass with the cruise set to 60mph and it had no trouble maintaining that. I had power in reserve. I couldve gone faster if I wanted, but I didnt.

Last edited:
Payload. I just mentioned 4K so people wouldn't jump to diesel recommendations. At times I will be hauling heavy loads in the bed.
Looks like GM 6.0 is well liked and fairly easy to find.

Ford's V10 or Chevy's 8.1 are big and thirsty - they serve a purpose but you said gobs of power isn't a big concern. Can't speak to the power Ford's 5.4 develops but they're not without their problems. I maintain several 6.0's with over 200K on them and they're all showing every sign of outliving the trucks they're in. Gas mileage, especially loaded, isn't a lot better than the 454 it replaced but its power output seems appropriate for a gas 3/4 ton truck.

Out of all the post-1990 3/4 ton gas trucks I've driven, the one that stands out is a 2000 Chevy K2500 with the pre-DBW 6.0 - feels like a strange, but very good, combination of my '85 GMC 1-ton and a '98 K2500 Suburban (454) I've driven, with more refinement than either. The manual throttle body really changes the response and feel of ballsy-ness of the 6.0.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Ford's V10 or Chevy's 8.1 are big and thirsty - they serve a purpose but you said gobs of power isn't a big concern. Can't speak to the power Ford's 5.4 develops but they're not without their problems. I maintain several 6.0's with over 200K on them and they're all showing every sign of outliving the trucks they're in. Gas mileage, especially loaded, isn't a lot better than the 454 it replaced but its power output seems appropriate for a gas 3/4 ton truck.

Good info---thanks

Originally Posted By: lukejo
QUESTION: Within those parameters, are there any engines to avoid?? Any engines I should try and get??

Yes! Avoid multi-cylinder deactivation and variable cam timing phasers.

Get one with an old fashion pushrod V8 that's simple with no unnecessary "technology" to break.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Get one with an old fashion pushrod V8 that's simple with no unnecessary "technology" to break.

Did the 6.0 get that tech? If so, which model year?

The 6.0L put in 2500HD pick-ups never had AFM/DOD, The later models (Past your year range) have VVT.....VVT is pretty reliable on LS engines. I have seen a few Timing Chain Tensioner failures cause bent Push Rods, However the repair is very simple!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

The 6.0L put in 2500HD pick-ups never had AFM/DOD, The later models (Past your year range) have VVT.....VVT is pretty reliable on LS engines. I have seen a few Timing Chain Tensioner failures cause bent Push Rods, However the repair is very simple!

Thanks for the info! I won't be going later than 2008, so one less thing to worry about.

The 5.4's in the Superdoodies are the most underpowered weakest POS engine ever put in a truck. And that's when it's unloaded. The company truck POS-250 I have to drive gets loaded to the gills and I'm bumping redline trying to accelerate with the rest of the traffic.

Can't imagine how Ford managed to the the best selling heavy duty truck with the weakest engine in it's category.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back