Transmission Fluid Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 GMC Canyon V6 with towing package. Included in the vehicle information system display is the automatic transmission fluid temperature. However, the owners manual doesn't indicate what temperature is normal nor what is a concern, etc. Therefore, for an uninformed person like me, knowing the transmission fluid temperature is just useless information. Are there any websites or online articles where I might learn enough that the temperature reading might be of some use to me?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
160-200 is great. 200-220 is good. Above 250 is danger zone.

With the Siverados and the Dex 6 a warning comes on the driver's information display at 265. GM states that the fluid is has a maximum temperature of 270-and the fluid has been tested up to 285 degrees-however it's the seals in the transmission that will start to degrade at that temperature-so they recommend a maximum temperature of 270 but states the fluid can actually take a lot more heat.

Most Silverado owners find about 80-100 degrees above ambient temperature is where they run.

Last edited:
That chart is a little conservative......

The issue being is these charts were around BEFORE the new fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
That chart is a little conservative......

The issue being is these charts were around BEFORE the new fluids.

Totally agree, that chart is apparently based on old whale-oil ATF...
wink.gif
(FYI, not kidding).

Your excellent post above about the seals being the modern limit is what is worth focusing on regading temparture ranges and limits.

This is useful.

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/HeatChart%28AL-516%29.pdf

Last edited:
Contrary to what ILI says, the only real way to lower transmission fluid temperatures is to use an external ATF cooler.

If you don't tow or race, I doubt you will have any over-temp problems with the ATF.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
This is useful.

According to that chart my transmission should have blown up on my cross country trip towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer with my Silverado. ANOTHER purposely misleading chart to sell product-or it's just out dated altogether.

This is useful.

According to that chart my transmission should have blown up on my cross country trip towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer with my Silverado. ANOTHER purposely misleading chart to sell product-or it's just out dated altogether.

You are probably doing 20k mile fluid changes too. All you offer is your outdated opinion for what it's worth.

Last edited:
This is useful.

You are probably doing 20k mile fluid changes too. All you offer is your outdated opinion for what it's worth.

Nope........personal experience and 50,000 mile intervals. And we can disagree on the value of my opinion. As I am disagreeing with yours.

If you don't like my posts they have a"block feature" on BITOG!

Last edited:
I have a 2009 Suburban. It has the six speed automatic.
Since I had nothing but trouble with the 4L60E in my older Yukon, I had the trans in the Suburban serviced by the shop I've been using for years immediately upon purchasing. The truck had 9,000 miles on it when I got it.
I did it again at around 55,000 and again at 115. At 115,000, the trans fluid was a little burnt. A few weeks ago, truck had around 139,000 miles, I checked the fluid before a long trip and it was burnt again. I went to the shop, the owner looked at it and suggested a flush and a service. I suggested adding an external cooler. I had the truck for a week prior to the trip and I monitored the trans temp and the condition of the fluid. It was fine. Temps were awesome. 147 on the highway doing 70 on a 74 degree day.
Drove down to Florida. Saw trans temps as high as 190 in bumper to bumper traffic in 99 degree weather. As soon as traffic started moving it would creep down to 178-184.
Strangest thing was on the way home, as soon as we crossed from Florida into Georgia, the air temp dropped ten degrees and the trans temp down along with it to around 168.
Fluid has been in good shape. I'm pretty happy. I just bought a house and really don't want to drop 3500 bucks on a rebuild at the moment.
When Pat (the trans shop owner) serviced the trans, he said the inside looked better than the fluid would have hinted. That's why I went ahead and took it on the trip.
I only wish I had ever monitored the temp before the cooler install.

This is useful.

I think it is simply outdated and like many other charts, it is based on the older mineral oil Dex/Merc and older PI formulas.

just about every AT equipped car I've owned shifts smoothly from cold. I know too hot will lead to a transmissions repid demise, but can you overcool a transmission to the extent it also hurts it?.

Claud.

just about every AT equipped car I've owned shifts smoothly from cold. I know too hot will lead to a transmissions repid demise, but can you overcool a transmission to the extent it also hurts it?.

Claud.

The highest temp I've seen in my Jeep was 176F and that was for about a minute. It usually stays right around 170F. It can take up to 30 minutes to get to 170F.

I am glad you found out what you wanted, even with all the so called "outdated" information and opinions which were presented.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spudislander
Thanks for the replies! Now I have something to watch for.

For our reference/knowledge... what kind of temps do you see on the display, and in what conditions? I'm guessing the towing packing means you have some form of upgraded cooling, such as an external trans cooler?

Something I'd watch out for, is that if the temperature shown does not change "fast" then it might be pan temperature. Meaning the oil will see much higher temps coming out of the convertor. 180 in the pan might be 250 (momentary!) before headed to the convertor.

As for too cool: I don't know if they monitor trans temps, but I think my truck does, and it won't do lockup until the trans hits 100F. I could be wrong, maybe it's when the engine hits 150F... been too long since I searched. But if they want the trans oil to be hot so as to be thin, they might block lockup until "they" are happy with the temps. Lastly, on my truck it has a thermostat and won't send oil out to the cooler until it thinks it needs to be cooled. So going to a big cooler might not do much (unless if under heavy loading), at least not unless if I defeat the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back