Stainless steel brake tubing worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Are there any advantages of stainless steel brake tubing compared to CuNiFer? Anyone with practical experience? For me, I need maximum corrosion resistance and not necessarily a nice look.

Lucas

I applied GREASE to mine when 2002 truck was purchased new.
I live in the rust-belt.
Today, if you wipe the grease off, the brake lines look brand new.
Every couple of years, I will mix Fluid Film and Never-Seize and smear it around (incase any of the grease was drying up).
I make an effort to also keep Bleeder Valves greased.

How would you flare stainless? It's brittle. Even if "they" flared it, if what you're joining it to isn't perfect the crush won't be very nice and you might get a leak.

+2 on NiCopp.

I had stainless steel lines on my Eclipse. The pedal was very firm after that modification. But I also had flushed the brake fluid, got new pads and rotors at the same time.

I replaced all the fuel, fuel vent and brake lines on my old BMW and I used NiCopp brand lines for most all of them (except some short pre-bent ones I got from BMW). In terms of being easy to use I don't know how it could be any easier. You can bend it with your bare hands into a small radius and it does not kink. Two years later here in the rust belt it still looks great.

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Hi,

Are there any advantages of stainless steel brake tubing compared to CuNiFer? Anyone with practical experience? For me, I need maximum corrosion resistance and not necessarily a nice look.

Lucas

Stainless is more resistant (not immune) to dings and crushing than NiCopp but unless you do a lot of rock crawling or extreme off roading their drawbacks outweigh any benefit.
NiCopp/Cunifer is really great stuff.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
I had stainless steel lines on my Eclipse. The pedal was very firm after that modification. But I also had flushed the brake fluid, got new pads and rotors at the same time.

He's referring to the hard line, not hoses.

I do not live in the rust / salt belt . Thank God .

In , maybe 50 years driving , the only time I have ever replaced the metal brake lines ( OEM are steel ? ) was due to physical damage in the line crossing one side of the rear banjo / deferential tube / housing . Exhaust pipe mount broke & the pipe had been vibration / bouncing on the steel line .

I saw a video of Eric O. using the Ni Cu lines . That is all I know about them , other than he spoke highly of it . No way I would fight stainless steel .

Best of luck , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back