Mobil 1 Cut Away Display Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
A clear oil filter would be neat to watch in action. Fuel filters used to be clear for the longest time on older stuff I recall. I know this is just for display, but, still, a clear filter would be neat to try just once!

Mobil's marketing dept. shouldn't show this. It reveals its a part-synthetic filter media, not full-synthetic glass fiber media like it should be.
Not a fully premium oil filter, yet marketed and priced that way. They rely on fooling people. A top-of-the-line oil filter would have a wire-backed full-synthetic media.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Mobil's marketing dept. shouldn't show this. It reveals its a part-synthetic filter media, not full-synthetic glass fiber media like it should be.
Not a fully premium oil filter, yet marketed and priced that way. They rely on fooling people. A top-of-the-line oil filter would have a wire-backed full-synthetic media.

Read Fleetguards website about their thoughts on glass fiber media. Very interesting.

I have cut a few open. - That material is far tougher than many filters out there.

Only a trained BITOG guy would know that ... they don't count on that happening.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Only a trained BITOG guy would know that ... they don't count on that happening.

ExxonMobil has always listed on their website (and continue to do so today) that the filter media is a blend:

Quote:
Our advanced performance oil filters use synthetic blend media, which leave your vehicle with cleaner oil and an engine that performs better and lasts longer.

It's said that as far back as I can remember.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

ExxonMobil has always listed on their website (and continue to do so today) that the filter media is a blend:

Quote:
Our advanced performance oil filters use synthetic blend media, which leave your vehicle with cleaner oil and an engine that performs better and lasts longer.

It's said that as far back as I can remember, at least back when they were made with white cans.

Anyone who goes to Mobil's website to research the filter is close to a trained BITOG guy.

The cutaway display is pretty much for the oil filter noobs, which is 99% of the population.
smile.gif

Anyone who goes to Mobil's website to research the filter is close to a trained BITOG guy.

The cutaway display is pretty much for the oil filter noobs, which is 99% of the population.
smile.gif

Well perhaps, but likewise those noobs aren't going to know or care either way.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

smile.gif

Well perhaps, but likewise those noobs aren't going to know or care either way.

Noobs take more interest in a cool cutaway, that's why they exist. Might lure in some new customers.
smile.gif

As in all filter models tested cross with the PH8A, you can verify the model numbers in the chart individually.

I certainly see where they point out the base end bypass valve in the cutaway, on the right hand side of the first page. Surprised that doesn't appear for ZeeOSix in the document. Some M1 EP filters used base end bypass such as the M1-301 & M1-209. I have no idea if this changed with the M1 AP filters but the cutaway is certainly appropriate for the model it depicts.

Note this was from 2007 as well so comments are kinda irrelevant other than my point is M1 filters showed synthetic blend media for at least 10 years now.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

I certainly see where they point out the base end bypass valve in the cutaway, on the right hand side of the first page. Surprised that doesn't appear for ZeeOSix in the document.

Re-read my post, I said ADBV - the blue one in the cutaway figure. I think they knew what that was even way back in 2007.
wink.gif

Not if it's sitting next to a Lucas gear thing-a-ma-jig ... way more interactive
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

I certainly see where they point out the base end bypass valve in the cutaway, on the right hand side of the first page. Surprised that doesn't appear for ZeeOSix in the document.

Re-read my post, I said ADBV - the blue one in the cutaway figure. I think they knew what that was even way back in 2007.
wink.gif

So how much sales do you think they lost because of this?

Were any of the other models tested lacking an ADBV? They were a pretty common feature by 2007, less so three or four decades before that though.

Do you get "PH8A Type" now?

Last edited:
The same guys who use Fram Orange can and then complain that it tears are the same guys telling you syn blend media is bad and to use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle for a cold. Test and decide is the best option

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back