2012 VW Golf 2.5L Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed out the OEM VW Bosch spark plugs on my 2.5L VW Golf. Not difficult at all. 28k miles and 5 1/2 yrs. of mostly short tripping. I noticed the engine not running as smooth so I decided not to wait any longer. What a difference w/new NGK (6737) PZFR5Q-11's! Fantastic plugs. IMO, much better than the Bosch's. I highly recommend all 2.5L owners seriously consider these plugs and NOT go past 30K on the original plugs if they're the Bosch's. Could not be more pleased....BTW, used a little
Permatex 81343 Anti-Seize Lubricant &
Permatex 81150 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease. Also, checked the air filter w/10k of use, very clean. I Could easy see this large filter going 30k miles easy. Cheers! Bill

VW fans seem to be sticklers when it comes to defending the Bosch brand,but aside from starters and alternators,Bosch stuff is so-so stuff.I've heard many stories of wire sets/spark plugs causing running issues and other brands solve the issues.Their O2 sensors have a bad rep too.

How is your overall experience with that vehicle? I am seriously considering adding a Jetta/Golf or Passat with the 2.5L to my stable, but afraid of VW electrical issues. Has that been an issue for you? Have you had the vehicle for all of the 5.5 years? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'm the original owner. Last of the German made Golf's. The 2.5L is bullet-proof. Not overly technical...no turbo, Variable Value Timing etc. Cast iron block AND the car has a full tire spare! A dinosaur which is the reason I bought this car. Very reliable. Downside...gobbles gas around town. Hwy. mileage is 32mpg. I'd buy a model made in Germany. (Test drove a Jetta one time and the Golf was a superior car IMO.) No problems at all. (Knock on wood!) I change the oil every 6 months and let the dealer change the oil/filter I bring in when the yearly vechicle inspection is due. (Dealer changes me $22 for the oil/filter change and doesn't charge for the yearly. inspection (-$15) The car is very well built and I feel safe in it. Drives very smooth and is a pleasure to drive. Excellent steering feel and brakes are top notch. Haven't done anything beyond maintenance.

I own a 2013 VW GTI I bought new which has 106K on it. I've never had a single electrical issue with it. The intake manifold did fail on it around 80K. It has butterflies that open at higher RPM's for more airflow. I got a code for it so it was a physical issue in the linkage, not the sensor. Went to a dealer, talked the parts department into giving me the same price I'd get from ordering one online from a dealer far away for $180. I replaced the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/release bearing. Those have been my two repairs. I've owned more reliable cars in the past but this is by far my favorite car I've ever owned.

Speaking of Bosch O2 sensors, I owned a WRX I modified. I installed a bigger downpipe and put a new Bosch O2 sensor in it. The Bosch O2 sensor didn't last two months. I replaced it with an NTK O2 sensor and never had another problem.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
VW fans seem to be sticklers when it comes to defending the Bosch brand,but aside from starters and alternators,Bosch stuff is so-so stuff.I've heard many stories of wire sets/spark plugs causing running issues and other brands solve the issues.Their O2 sensors have a bad rep too.

So true. When Bosch is the OE manufacturer, the part is usually OK. If you are talking any sort of aftermarket Bosch part, you might as well save your money.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

So true. When Bosch is the OE manufacturer, the part is usually OK. If you are talking any sort of aftermarket Bosch part, you might as well save your money.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back