Amsoil SS 0w20, Honda Civic 1.5T 2017, 5,130mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest report for my turbo civic. Same as the first report I had on it (factory fill), viscosity is down and severe fuel dilution is present. The only difference is that this time there was no increase in oil volume on the dipstick, it wasn't watery and didn't smell like gas at all. 95% highway driving. Shifting gears at least at 3-4K rpm. And oil is still diluted. It feels like that the car is tuned to run rich, perhaps to eliminate LSPI possibility. Wear numbers seems to be fine though. How does this report looks to you guys out there? Oh, and does oxidation parameter means? looks kind of high although not highlighted.

For comparison and info here's my first UOA on the Civic (Factory fill)

It can't run too rich too often without melting the catalytic convertor, failing emissions, and giving poor MPG.
Remember this engine is supposed to be very efficient with fuel! Its the game.
I think the ring sealing is not standing up to the extra turbo pressure, creating excessive blow-by. Common in Ford Ecoboost as well, probably many others of this type. Everybody has gone to DI-turbo engines now.

I'd be very tempted to use M1 0w30 since that would give more of a viscosity safety margin during fuel dilution for a long or medium OCI.

Blow by is very very minimal on this engine. I had a catch can installed and in 3K just a slight film on the canister walls and some residue on the bottom (perhaps 1/4 of tea spoon). And yes, it gets very good mpg but it's not the seals and not blow by. Thanks for your feedback though.

I'm leaning towards 0w30 on the next change but not sure on the brand yet. I'm comfortable with 5K OCI as long as wear metals are low.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Blow by is very very minimal on this engine.

If not excess blow-by in that engine, the only other way I can think of to get that much fuel in the sump is via a leaky fuel injector.
That fuel system is under pressure even when the engine is off, and injectors must close tight. I don't know how common it is to have leaky injectors in new engines.

it's not a single engine issue. all of these new generation honda turbo engines are hard on oil. I don't believe this is a design flaw. likely the way it is tuned

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Blow by is very very minimal on this engine.

If not excess blow-by in that engine, the only other way I can think of to get that much fuel in the sump is via a leaky fuel injector.
That fuel system is under pressure even when the engine is off, and injectors must close tight. I don't know how common it is to have leaky injectors in new engines.

A drop in fuel rail pressure will trigger a CEL. I've been down this road with Honda...

I think you are right, 5K would be the max. And yes, I feel like I should've picked up either Accord with manual or Civic but 2.0..

Oxidation number is typically normal for an amsoil.
Upgrade to xW30 and consider extending OCI beyond 5K-ish .

I've just noticed that oxidation number is abnormally high (at least comparing to what I've seen). Does anyone has any input on it?

I think there's another user here with a well documented level of fuel dilution in the same type of car. Blackstone readings of fuel might be bogus. Some have said you can't trust them lately for that. With a 5.98 cSt, I highly doubt there were "trace readings" of fuel. More like [censored] loads.

Oil Analyzers show >5% which sounds about right for this engine. I'd be going a 40 grade with that much dilution. I bet it would dilute down to a 20 grade after 4-5K.

I think you are right, 5K would be the max. And yes, I feel like I should've picked up either Accord with manual or Civic but 2.0..

I would just use Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and follow the MM. Bet your engine would last longer than anything else on your car.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

I would just use Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and follow the MM. Bet your engine would last longer than anything else on your car.

OMG.

If it were me I would buy Hondata Flashpro add a tune and see if the fuel issue changes any. The bump in power and drivability would be an added bonus. However your warranty would be affected and you have to decide if you can live with that.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/hondata-reflash-unlocks-loads-of-power-from-honda-civic-1-5l-turbo/

https://www.hondata.com/flashpro-2016-civic

The only other thing to do is go up a grade in viscosity and do more frequent oil changes and drive it till there is a real problem and address it if and when there is one.

Fwiw, fuel dilution just seems to be a 4 cylinder Honda thing these days. I have yet to see a 1.5T UOA that uses gas chromotgraphy where fuel dilution isn't an issue. The same can be said for UOAs on Honda's K24W (DI, non-turbo), including mine. And this isn't just present in cold weather, short-tripping driving: highway cruising brings it out, too.

Honda has to know this issue exists but seems content to live with it. They have a huge reputational risk riding on this not being problem that compromises engine life in a big way, so let's hope they know what they're doing. There doesn't seem to be evidence of premature K24W deaths, but maybe it's too early to know for sure.

In my Honda, I've noticed it's most extreme (i.e. rising crankcase level) after highway cruising on the spec'd 87-octane fuel into a stiff headwind. From this it seems reasonable to assume Honda enriches the fuel mixture when spark knock is detected instead of retarding timing. And, with the ultra-high gearing in these things, this may not be an unusual event. Maybe this is friendlier to fuel economy or emissions, but it does have consequences.

That's my believe as well that running rich is intentionall thing. Anyway, it looks like 5K interval is perfectly fine in term of oil condition and metal levels. And I am perfectly fine with this interval as well. The only thing is that I'll go up on the weight (0w30), mostly not for viscosity sake but for some smoother and better sounding engine. To be honest with y'all I don't like how this engine sounds. At all. And this kind of metal noise (from turbine I believe) is something I'm not a fan off. Anyhow, I just 500miles on current fill so it will be another 3 months before I upgrade to 0w30.

Oil Analyzers reports >5% fuel, I would find it more helpful to know what the total % is exactly..bet it's more like 20% after 5k mi. especially in the frigid cold.

Mine has behaved very nicely all summer on the juiced fuel and normal motor oil grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back