2016 Ford 3.5EB 9765K miles castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
7000 miles of this trip was towing at GVWR in very hot conditions at high speeds. 5qts 0w40 and 1qt 0w30

16097L01987-E-I-293385-Sev4_1.jpg

But viscosity kv100, the one that is hot at 100 degrees C, was about normal, at 12.6. Expected value for your new oil mix would be about 12.9 or so.
This is plenty of visc! Fuel dilution, sure, but that would certainly have reduced their kv100 reading, right???

Tribologists or any geek: Would HTHS be reduced more than kv100 with that much fuel dilution?

This lab really hasn't got a clue. They were troubled by the Ti which comes standard as an anti-wear/anti-friction AW/FM additive in Castrol Edge!!!

Last edited:
I do not know this for sure, but I've been told the comments on Polaris reports are auto-generated. If a level goes above a preprogrammed limit, the "comment" is auto populated into the box. Can occasionally make for some silly remarks when viewed on the totality (such as the Ti for one).

Not that we don't occasionally see silly stuff in the comments written by people on certain UOAs from other sources ...

Six of one; half dozen of the other.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Castrol held up

I think so. My truck earned its keep on this trip for sure. I went from Tampa to Big Sky MT and back, we hit I think over 18 states. It was often close or over 100 degrees F and I was doing the speed limit as much as I could (75mph).
Trailer and truck weigh near GVWR. MPG was low, I averaged around 9.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Originally Posted By: Ram02
Castrol held up

I think so. My truck earned its keep on this trip for sure. I went from Tampa to Big Sky MT and back, we hit I think over 18 states. It was often close or over 100 degrees F and I was doing the speed limit as much as I could (75mph).
Trailer and truck weigh near GVWR. MPG was low, I averaged around 9.
How close to GCWR with the trailer was it? I'm lucky to average 8 MPG with the 3.7 Transit in my sig, towing the company enclosed trailer behind it, and it is generally right at GCWR (around 12K total).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
How close to GCWR with the trailer was it? I'm lucky to average 8 MPG with the 3.7 Transit in my sig, towing the company enclosed trailer behind it, and it is generally right at GCWR (around 12K total).

That sounds about right. We tow our 9900 GVWR camper (35 ft bumper to hitch, 13' tall, 8' wide) with an EB F150 and I've seen 8-10 when towing. More often 8 and once in the mountains it dipped into the mid to high 7's. The truck does awesome but it does work.

Almost 10,000 miles in a 3.5 eccobost on Edge 0W40, and 7k miles was towing.

The oil did fine. You can see it's a Euro oil with the high zinc (973 ppm) and good retained TBN (3.17), plus you have the Castrol Edge Titanium dose at 45ppm plus a touch of Boron at 28 ppm. A nice oil.

The iron wear is 30 ppm which is fine. The KV100 viscosity is 12.6 cSt which still seems OK to me, especially given many people would use an ILSAC 30 grade with a fresh KV100 of 10 to 11 cSt.

I can't help but to compare this to quite a few EB UOA's I've seen recently running Castrol Magnatec 5W30 (ILSAC brew). The Magnatec tends to show a bit less wear metal in the iron (about half), but there is nothing wrong with your iron numbers and you did push your EB much harder than most, so no problem. Your Edge, being a euro oil has higher zinc and ample TBN at 10k miles, while the Magnatec show less zinc and the Magnatec TBN looks spent to me after 9k miles.

At 10k mile OCI with heavy towing, I would stick to the Edge.

Since gas evaporates fairly easily and this engine was run nice and hot, I wonder if the fuel is a result of a few short drives before the sample was taken. Maybe fuel dilution wouldn't be as bad if the last run before the oil change was a nice, long, hot run.

This is just a theory...Do you remember how the final few drives were on the oil before the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back