Can someone near el paso look at a truck for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i am trying to get a 2003 ford f150 from el paso texas to ny. I have some people that can fly out and drive it back but this truck was bought sight unseen. Any chance someone can take a look at it to see if it looks like it could make it back 2,300 miles. Check the oils, coolant, tires, make sure it shifts ect. Just a basic once over before i fly someone out. The last thing i want to do is fly someone out and have to fly them back.

Wish I could help you but I am in the opposite corner of TX. If you dont get a response, try the automotive or personal forums on Craigslist. You can specify El Paso. If that dont work, look up a local garage there. They might do it for a small fee. Good luck. I hope it works out.

thanks a local shop is not a bad idea. I would be leary of using someone from craigslist.

How much was the shipping quote?

Seems like a ton of variables including costs to get someone to drive it. I paid for my now wife's car to get shipped Tx -> NH and found cost not much more then fuel, hotels, food beyond the obvious time. We also somehow avoided a month of long term parking fee at airport lot and shipper charged $50 to release car there.

20 yrs ago I had cars shipped in enclosed carriers from Naples, FL ($1400) and Scottsdale, AZ ($1600) to Connecticut. Texas would be in between those. It must be more expensive today. Cheaper via open carrier/private individual.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
So i am trying to get a 2003 ford f150 from el paso texas to ny. I have some people that can fly out and drive it back but this truck was bought sight unseen. Any chance someone can take a look at it to see if it looks like it could make it back 2,300 miles. Check the oils, coolant, tires, make sure it shifts ect. Just a basic once over before i fly someone out. The last thing i want to do is fly someone out and have to fly them back.

So with average miles-per-year- this thing has got like 170,000 miles on it?

Last edited:
You bought a 15 model year old truck in El Paso and want someone else to drive it to NY. Almost sounds like a black tar heroin mule.

As a mechanic myself, here are a few things I'd check in addition to the fluids: Age and condition of the tires, Slop in the U joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, cracks in the belt(s) and condition of the brake and coolant hoses.

I flew to North Carolina and drove a 32 year old $800 car home.

Grab your toolbox and a ticket to Spirit airlines and do this.

Delegating everything is going to end poorly in ways not yet imagined.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
And don't forget all the light bulbs. A burned out light will get someone pulled over quick.

Temp tag plus improper lighting equals further scrutiny by law enforcement with good cause. Been there on a cycle and car.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
And don't forget all the light bulbs. A burned out light will get someone pulled over quick.

Temp tag plus improper lighting equals further scrutiny by law enforcement with good cause. Been there on a cycle and car.

In theory he has all he needs to get it registered. You only need to do temp tags if you buy it on the spot. With the bill of sale, he should be able to get insurance and register it and then have plates with him when getting the car. Of course he didn't know what it would cost in advance, what was the point of bidding on it?

On eBay there are several ads that offer delivery. Try using one of those companies mentioned. Some let you put in the starting and destination address and will give you an instant quote.

The OP bought a cheap vehicle and is now "being cheap" trying to get it back where he lives.

End of story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
The OP bought a cheap vehicle and is now "being cheap" trying to get it back where he lives.

End of story.

Yeah, the online quotes seem to be 1000+ for shipping which defeats the point of a cheap vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

End of story.

Yeah, the online quotes seem to be 1000+ for shipping which defeats the point of a cheap vehicle.

I never said i was being cheap and i never said the vehicle was cheap. I simply asked if someone could take a look at it. I figured this being bitog someone would actually know how to check the oil levels properly and whatnot and give me a good idea of its overall condition.

So if a BITOG member checks out your truck, gives it a clean bill of health, and it blows up halfway home in Kansas, who are you going to blame? Your driver, BITOG, the auction?

Who's going to assume the risk and inconvenience? Who will reap the reward of a rust free truck? How do these factors intersect? What's going to motivate those that help you?

If I were close I'd check it out in a heartbeat for you. Unfortunately it's almost 800 miles away from me. Texas is HUGE!!

Originally Posted By: joegreen
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

End of story.

I never said i was being cheap and i never said the vehicle was cheap. I simply asked if someone could take a look at it. I figured this being bitog someone would actually know how to check the oil levels properly and whatnot and give me a good idea of its overall condition.

I hope it was relatively cheap-it's pushing 200,000 miles. Isn't it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back