New 4 runner oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife just bought a new 2017 toyota 4 runner, with the 4.0 V6. I must have 5 or 6 one gallon jugs of Mobil 1 -10w-30, Once the two free oil changes from Toyota, are done, will it hurt this engine to run the 10w-30 in it? I have been running Mobile One for 20 years with no complaints, but never in a engine that supposedly required 0w-20.

Under warranty I would certainly stay with the factory recommendation. I don't know about the Toyota motor but with the newer Subaru's that spec 0W-20 the variable valve timing system relies on oil pressure and is calibrated (supposedly) to 0W20.

Anything from 0w-20 to 15w-40 will be fine in that engine in Texas heat.

Use 0w-20 until the warranty is up, and keep receipts.

I've been drooling over the TRD Pro lately.

Your in south texas I don't see an issue. I am running mobil 1 10w-30 in my 2015 now. I've been towing a 19' Jayco travel trailer extended distances all summer.

Originally Posted By: Moondawg
My wife just bought a new 2017 toyota 4 runner, with the 4.0 V6. I must have 5 or 6 one gallon jugs of Mobil 1 -10w-30, Once the two free oil changes from Toyota, are done, will it hurt this engine to run the 10w-30 in it? I have been running Mobile One for 20 years with no complaints, but never in a engine that supposedly required 0w-20.

Congrats on the new 'Runner! Would love that to be my next vehicle.

Plenty of debate on this topic on the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner forums. The 4.0 was specified for Xw30 oils until 2010 when Toyota changed the valvetrain a bit. Since then, many have stuck with the 30 grade oils with no change in mpg or behavior.

I'd say in Texas, no issue running a 10w30 year around.

Plus check your OM. Doesn't it say a thicker oil is required for heavy duty/towing/mountains/sustained high speed/etc? I think TX highways qualify.....

Unless the manual verbiage switched between 2015 and 2017, you should be fine even under warranty.

The 2015 says something to the tune of, "0w20 is recommended, a 5w20 can be used if 0w20 isn't available, but you must use a 0w20 for the next oil change. You can also go up a weight if the vehicle is used for towing."

I personally take upping the weight to mean 0w30, 5w30 or 10w30 as long as they all meet the current oil requirements and are synthetic.. which reminds me, are the OCI's still 10k?

It would work fine, but if you have some engine failure the dealership could give you hassle about warranty.

Do you have anything else you can run it in?

Actually better moving up a grade or two imo...if the temps a above 15F I have no issue with 10W either but I'd use a different car on colder days to avoid the starts, probably few and far between where your at, we only wish here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back