It Happened On Fifth Ave -1947

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really dig this 1947 movie. I watched it several times over many years and TCM had it on last night.
I guess it could also be considered a Christmas movie but that only comes into play at the very end. Really unrelated.
The Fifth Ave pictures in the beginning are interesting as I have some collectibles from there.. ( Vanderbilt's and Harry Payne Whitney) I like the history of NY. but never want to visit again- I'm too country- like a fish out of water......
If you like old movies this is great!

I agree that it is a very good movie. Not really well known, but very entertaining and better than many "classic" Christmas movies.

I sure wouldn't want to live in NYC, but I always have a blast when I visit!
I feel lucky that it's a fairly short drive for me, just arrange for a garage in advance for the duration of my trip and explore by foot and train.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I have no desire to EVER go to NYC .

LOL I could be in Penn Station on the LIRR in about 30 minutes, and I have no desire to go to NYC either. In fact I hate the place, but business unfortunately takes me there from time to time.

I also am way too country .

That's too bad. Besides the main "tourist stuff" in NYC-there are several historical sites.

This includes Federal Hall-where George Washington took the oath as the first president of the United States.

It includes the bible he placed his hand on. As a side note-this bible was taken for safe keeping by the NYPD on September 11th and put in a safe place. Remember-nobody knew what (if anything) else was going to happen when the towers were attacked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Touring5
I agree that it is a very good movie. Not really well known, but very entertaining and better than many "classic" Christmas movies.

You said it well. I'm glad you like it.
If you haven't watched this movie it is just as good and car related.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031002/

The Young In Heart. 1938
Awesome movie.

OT:You might want to consider why millions of others do.

The constant roar of humanity pounding out a living is an experience to, at least, have once in life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

The constant roar of humanity pounding out a living is an experience to, at least, have once in life.

Not interested . Too many people living inside each other's pockets .

Who said " Good fences make good neighbors ?"

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I sure wouldn't want to live in NYC, but I always have a blast when I visit!
I feel lucky that it's a fairly short drive for me, just arrange for a garage in advance for the duration of my trip and explore by foot and train.

I agree , lots to see and do there.

I kind of feel the same way about ever wanting to drive through West Texas again.........it was miserable.

Last edited:
I like W Texas in the spring. Not so much other seasons ...

Been to NYC once, driving in the city. Went down Wall St (ally) and saw plenty of places where the sun don't shine. Just a bigger nuttier version of other big cities. It's about people, and that ain't my big thing ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I like W Texas in the spring. Not so much other seasons ...

Been to NYC once, driving in the city. Went down Wall St (ally) and saw plenty of places where the sun don't shine. Just a bigger nuttier version of other big cities. It's about people, and that ain't my big thing ...

And you live in a state which has close to 40 million in it?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I will never go.
It's full of Yankees.

There are so many ways I could reply to this that would get this thread closed........

Originally Posted By: CKN

I kind of feel the same way about ever wanting to drive through West Texas again.........it was miserable.

Is that a promise ?

Went to Manhattan a couple of times. I kinda like it. Nice change of pace for me--town I live in does not have stoplights.

Not saying I'd want to live there, but it's not bad to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back