Chartreuse Green. Anyone have experience with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about this in the Selby novel "Requiem for a Dream" and kept my eye out for it, finally saw it in an upscale cocktail bar in Soho.
I told the bartender I wanted to try it neat and she gave me a tiny bit in a glass after warning me it was pretty potent...I agreed to try it in a cocktail instead after the stuff almost blew my nose right off. She mixed me up a Last Word for me and it is probably still my favorite drink, hard to find but worth it when it is available. Equal parts Green Chartreuse, gin, maraschino liqueur, and lime juice. I am not a fan of gin, but it really works as part of this cocktail.
Chartreuse is made by monks in France, there is a yellow variety that is supposed to be a little sweeter and milder than the green (haven't had that one).

Last edited:
It's a simulation of absinthe, from when absinthe was illegal. I've had the real thing, and it's good, if you like licorice and high proof alcohol. Fortunately, I do.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
It's a simulation of absinthe, from when absinthe was illegal. I've had the real thing, and it's good, if you like licorice and high proof alcohol. Fortunately, I do.

The monks have been making green chartreuse since 1737 and it didn't taste like licorice to me at all. IDK about the yellow as I haven't had it yet.

I remember my great grandmother putting a few drops on a sugar, to chear us up when we had like small injuries as kids, or drinking it in tiny tiny liquor glasses. At that time in France it was considered normal to give alcohol to kids, lol!
I remember it being a "woman's alcool", but I think I was before Absinthe became illegal, and I'm not too sure about that.

My mother has a bottle of 70% green in her cupboard for as long as I remember, drinking only a few drops in a tiny glass like once or twice a year. It's quite pricey so definitely ot something you drink like whisky with coke or ice
smile.gif

Never seen a man in the family drinking it, but maybe it was just a matter or taste. You can find several varieties, 37/40/55/70°, green or yellow, etc. In the south west you have the "Isara" which is like a different sort of yellow or green Chartreuse, but it doesn't taste as good (IMhO)! I also guess thhe recipe is completely different.

If you want to read about it, I recommend the short story from Alphonse Daudet "Le curé de Cucugnan", which is the story/confession of a monk in charge of tasting the Chartreuse in the abbey, about mostly how he found himself alcoholic (it is of course more complex and much better written than that).

Edit: liquorice taste, not to me. Maybe you're confusing with Pastis? Depending on brands, it can taste more liquorice or more anise. The "51" brand is more liquorice, the "Ricard" brand is more anise (remember famous advertising in the 50/60's "Ricard, l'apéro du routier" (Ricard, the truckers' aperitif). Another world!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popsy
I remember my great grandmother putting a few drops on a sugar, to chear us up when we had like small injuries as kids, or drinking it in tiny tiny liquor glasses. At that time in France it was considered normal to give alcohol to kids, lol!

My mother used to buy a mint flavored cough syrup that I just loved, I would take swigs out of the bottle when nobody else was in the kitchen.
Realized years later that it was about 30% alcohol. Cheers!

Interesting to hear your thoughts about this drink from its home country, nice post!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Crispysea

The monks have been making green chartreuse since 1737 and it didn't taste like licorice to me at all.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My mother used to buy a mint flavored cough syrup that I just loved, I would take swigs out of the bottle when nobody else was in the kitchen.
Realized years later that it was about 30% alcohol. Cheers!

Interesting to hear your thoughts about this drink from its home country, nice post!

Thanks
wink.gif
I don't drink, or very occasionaly, but alcohols like Chartreuse were part of my early childhood. I guess young children spend quite some time with old people, and it wasn't afternoon tea but afternoon Liquors in my family! Red wine and aperitifs were clearly playing a big part in the society at that time. I'm too young to remember clearly the context, but the perception of alcohol was clearly different at that time, like your experience with the cough syrup!
This brought me memories of long gone members of my family, and places I've been as a kid.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Very highly rated and tastes (and smells) like something from your grandmothers liquor (or medicine) cabinet.

Anyone have some decent tips on how to consume this beverage?
Tried it over ice...was ok, but at 55% alcohol, it made the scotches I've been drinking, seem weak by comparison.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3208/chartreuse-green-liqueur

It's an ingredient in some drinks -- not the common stuff that most people order at bars and restaurants. I wouldn't drink it neat or on the rocks.

If you are into craft cocktails and the unique stuff, a bottle would be worth the investment. My biggest holdup on actually buying a bottle of it is that it's quite expensive and I worry that I'd never use it up before it goes bad. That being said, whenever I am out and see a drink that uses it, I'm very tempted!

I was thinking of Pastis, not Chartreuse. There are still several brands in the US labeled "absinthe" that are bad imitations. Personally, I prefer the Swiss "blanc" style.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back