What year did the Civic get a timing chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of,why is Honda still using a belt on their V6? Isn't everyone else using chains now?

The R18 engine used starting in the 2006-2011 (8th generation) which I own, uses a timing chain. The 7th generation right before uses the D17 engine which uses a timing belt. I assume the 8th is the first time they switched, all subsequent generations 8th and onward use timing chains. The last one to use a timing belt was 2005 Civic, first one to use timing chain is 2006 Civic.

2006+ with the R18s. The previous generation SIs had K20s (chains), also, but the regular LX/DX/EX had belts. I think that era Hybrid Civic also had a chain.

As in what? The timing components or the car overall?

I have an 09 that I maintain religiously and have had no issues, except for the passenger side airbag recall and the idiot kid who did it messing everything up along the way.

Some of the 2006 to early 2009 had an issue with the aluminum short blocks cracking in specific locations due to weak casting. Honda extended the warranties on those to ten years with no mileage limit (TSB 10-048) provided the car has a clean title (not salvage). I have not had the issue and mine is in the early 2009 batch to my knowledge.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
As in what? The timing components or the car overall?

I have an 09 that I maintain religiously and have had no issues, except for the passenger side airbag recall and the idiot kid who did it messing everything up along the way.

Some of the 2006 to early 2009 had an issue with the aluminum short blocks cracking in specific locations due to weak casting. Honda extended the warranties on those to ten years with no mileage limit (TSB 10-048). I have not had the issue and mine is in the early 2009 batch to my knowledge.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at buying an '09. I'm usually a Corolla person, but I would also consider a Civic...I have always liked the generation that began in '06...

If that 2009 was built later in the year it has the updated block which is very good. You can use the VIN to find out.

The 09's have a lot of nice updates over the 06-08. They look nicer. I have a 2010 and my wife has a 2008. Great cars!

Last edited:
I'd say go for it if it's an 09. It certainly has my seal of approval. I drive it all the time, haven't had any issues and work needed other than the necessary stuff (brake, lube and filter changes).

I live in New York too and for a car this old it has startlingly little rust on the underside, compared to cars I've seen with subframes rotted through, but that might be due to how I hose it down often. The exhaust system itself, I don't know what they make it out of (stainless?) but there's also very little rust, just heat discoloration and all of the fasteners down the whole system come out nice and easy.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Thanks! Are the '06 and newer ones pretty reliable?

Cracked blocks. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news...ivics/index.htm

The 2008 Civic that I service has bad peeling paint. Block not cracked on it, and it has been very reliable for the owner. In 1.5 years, it has gone through one set of brakes, a new starter, and I just had to change the brake light switch assembly yesterday, which only cost $6.99 at NAPA. The threaded portion broke because the whole assembly is nothing but plastic.

Originally Posted By: grampi
The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at buying an '09. I'm usually a Corolla person, but I would also consider a Civic...I have always liked the generation that began in '06...

My grandson has owned a 2009 Civic LX since new. The only complaints he's had is the high wear rate on the factory brake pads and also problems with hardware and trim pieces like around the side windows, the windshield and the two trim pieces on the roof that run front to back. Drivetrain has been fine for 126,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

My grandson has owned a 2009 Civic LX since new. The only complaints he's had is the high wear rate on the factory brake pads

Just sounds like the brakes are not being serviced often enough or properly. OE pads should easily last 100k km.

Love my 2010 Si (K series engine with a chain). The K series is probably the best mass produced engine Honda ever offered. Flog it all day at the track and it does not care. With a good set of winter tires, is unstoppable in the winter slush/snow/ice, even lowered.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 8th Gen Civics as well, especially the later ones (09+) due to the short block issue. We had an '09 EX-L that was perfectly reliable while we had it, although it was still young with only ~60k on it when it was totaled. We fully expected it to be our future childrens' first car (we don't even have any kids!). The change to a timing chain was a big bonus, maintenance-wise.

My family has a very early 7th gen Civic as well that has been very reliable, but definitely feels like an inexpensive commuter car. It's incredible how much the Civic matured between those two generations. I never liked how the 9th gen Civics looked, but the current 10th Generation, yes please!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Somebody needs to reintroduce gears...
Exactly. I don't know why they don't. My 6cyl landcruiser had gears. Never had to worry about them. 200-300-400k just keep going. The noise complaint I can't figure out. I never heard anything strange.

100K KM on pads? I've switched to the centric extended wear (cleaned and maintained spring/summer) and I've never seen beyond 60k. They chew up pads quickly due to their size.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Speaking of,why is Honda still using a belt on their V6? Isn't everyone else using chains now?

The Honda J series V6 dates back to the mid 90s. There are still some advantages of belts, like quieter, slightly more efficient, etc.

The 8th gen Civic was the first gen to have a timing chain. Early years had issues cracking blocks, and many had issues with the sun visors. The clips that hold them up fail and they fall down. Some suspension complaints also. Carcomplaints.com is a great place to see widespread issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back