Let's Talk Zero Turn Mowers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ariens 32". It's the smallest ZTR they make and I quite like it. I looked at the Toro but it was a single blade unit! I like the 32 - it fits through gates if I mow the neighbors, and it stores nicely in the garage. The 14.5 briggs is smooth and easy to live with. At 4 years old it is still breaking in as every year I get more cuts per tank of fuel. the only difference between their consumer and professional line is the engine and the paint color. the gravely pro models are red, with slightly larger engines. I went with the consumer model as the briggs single vibrated less than the V-twin in the gravely.

I stayed away from entry level JD since my understanding was they were made by murray. The lawn and garden center here was a pleasure to work with - they let me test drive a few models, which was helpful in making my mind up. Note: ZTR's can tow trailers, aerators, etc., but they don't tow as well as a standard rider. Also don't be mislead by the high ground speed - cut quality for me suffers if I try to rip through there. I never use the top "6mph" speed.

-m

-m

My father has an Exmark which he uses to cut three acres with plenty of trees. The other four acres of old pasture get the land pride finishing mower attached to the tractor.

IMO, unless your actual mowing area is well over 1 acre, I wouldn't bother with a ZTR. I had a Cub Z-Force I bought back in ~2010 for our previous home. It was considered "premium residential", had a fabricated steel 44" deck, big tires, ZT2800 drives with filters, etc. I absolutely hated it on the rough and uneven terrain we had at the time. Our home was on 2 acres. 1.5+ needed to be mowed.

I have an old Dixon 5424 with a B&S Intek twin and a 42" deck as well as a Cub Cadet Enforcer with a Kawasaki twin and a 54" deck. Would not trade them for the world- I'm able to cut 2.5 acres in @90 minutes.

It really depends. For reasonably flat ground with lots of obstacles, I like ZT mowers, but once you add roots, hillsides and rougher terrain, I like a tractor with diff lock. The best idea is go to a dealer and talk, take a picture of your yard for him to see. Lots of dealers will bring you a ZT or tractor to try. That's how I did it. I never made it past the tractor, it worked so well, and I haven't looked back. But that doesn't mean you might like a ZT better.

Last edited:
So, went to a local dealer that keeps multiple brands. Discussed my options and situation, and while they would sell me what I wanted, they convinced me I'd be better suited with a lawn tractor. They had a Cub Cadet XT1 LT46 with a 46" cut, 22hp Kohler Twin, and hydro transmission for right around $1700. They told me to wait a little bit and there would be some decent sales.

If you got big box ZTR wait for spring and see if you can snag a clearance leftover from the previous year or wait until the end of season and hope for a bargain. My dad bought a Craftsman at the beginning of the year for $1300 and my son bought a Snapper at the end of season for $1400. My dad got them to throw in the extended service plan. He has a huge yard and 3 acres of it have to be mowed.

If you can't get a deal skip the homeowners and move up the food chain. My brother in law bought a nice Gravely he's got far more unwooded land than my dad.

I personally am fine with a tractor, most of my lawn is open areas and the trees aren't in the way,

I am very happy with my BAD BOY zero turn. 54"with Kohler V-Twin. Where it used to take almost 3 hours to cut my grasswith a lawn tractor now takes just a little over an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back