2017 Corolla SE 6mt opinions/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day BITOG,

Looking for recommendations/advice on the 1.8 Corolla engine/vehicle. The local dealer has leftover 2017 1.8L Corollas in the 6mt variation that are surprisingly quite fun to drive. If anyone has one, I'd love to get your feedback on whether to pursue this further or keep looking.

Thanks!

I have looked at but do not own. My brother still has a '95 MT Tercel with over 100k and zero issues....figure the Corolla to be the same.

That has a proven powertrain if you wanna keep the car for the long haul. plus it has old school fuel injection and no turbo to give you trouble.

I did a review of a rental one of these recently. If you like the car overall then a variant with the 6mt seems like a good choice.

you are saying they finally got the chassis tuned to the point its almost fun to drive?

Try pushing past 8-10ths nd see if the handling falls apart. Of course if yo never drive past 8 10th then don't bother. I find myself in situations periodically where I want/ need everything the car can muster and I need it to be predictable.

Do these have IRS or twist beam? I actually prefer twist beam for the long haul and simplicity and maintaining alignment. No need for IRS complexity in a FWD passenger car IMO. We woul all be better off if car manuf put more developed front suspensions instead of garbage mac struts - that are ONLY employed for ease of manufacture.

I just bought an SE Camry, and while I don't need to drive at "8/10" like the hero drivers I find the car corners flat and the rear wheels track the front nicely. Brakes are also very good. I'll gladly trade "2/10s" for the Bust My Wallet repair bills.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I find myself in situations periodically where I want/ need everything the car can muster and I need it to be predictable.

Might be time to review your driving habits? Just sayin'.

I have a variant of that 1.8L engine... no problems so far in 50,000 miles

I do a 10k OCI and it burns nothing during that time with M1 EP oil.

Wishing Toyota would incorporate a larger selection of manual gearboxes like Mazda does in their sedans.

I'd love an MT Corolla

My brother has an '06 1.8 MT Corolla-it's a lot faster than my xB, also gets better MPGs (due to it's better highway gearing in 5th)-I can out handle him, though!

Not sure how important front seat comfort is to you, but I've read many complaints from those who own the later model Corolla's. Seems to affect those with 2010+ models

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla/2015/consumer-reviews/review-832258648162516992/
http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/s-plus-uncomfortable-seat.3937/

21.gif

I have one as a rental today.

It has OE Toyota glass. Terrible irregularity in the glass right in front of my face. Wouldnt be able to keep a car like that, hurts the eyes - like looking through a pair of prescription glasses that arent yours.

Ill say that the LED displays are a little closer in coloration and style than the same-gen rental I had a year or two ago.

If you get a good copy and can stand the dash layout, I cant imagine that a 6MT copy would be an unreliable or bad car to put miles on. Should be lowest lifecycle cost compared to the AT versions, more reliable,and better overall to drive.

I like MT but I wonder what the resale hit would be if that is a factor to you. I drove a manual in 1968 but not many young people want one. Yesterday a saw a young woman driving, texting and smoking at the same time. She might be able to do all that and shift too. Ha

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I like MT but I wonder what the resale hit would be if that is a factor to you. I drove a manual in 1968 but not many young people want one. Yesterday a saw a young woman driving, texting and smoking at the same time. She might be able to do all that and shift too. Ha

May be worth less in the end, bu you pay less up front. Doubt anyone is making money on that trade, on a depreciating asset.

This is still an econobox. People looking for a low end car may be willing to make the trade at sale time, so its a win win.

I find myself in situations periodically where I want/ need everything the car can muster and I need it to be predictable.

You should almost never need everything the car can muster, unless you're on a track. Maybe it's time to put the phone down?
55.gif

Before I bought the Yaris I arranged with the dealer to test drive the corolla s 6spd. I wasn't too fussy on it. The seats felt weird on my backside and the visibility was so so - albeit better than the civic. The Yaris was more to my liking with fantastic visibility and a more upright seating position. Cars today, IMO, have gone to far in nvh where you lose that visceral feel with the road. The Yaris is a good compromise. Unfortunately stigma associated with the Yaris might be too much for many to overcome.

I had a 2017 corolla as a rental to drive from MN to CO. It was a CVT but I really liked it. It had plenty of power, the ride, ergonomics and both interior and exterior styling were on par. One thing would keep me from buying one though, the seats. After a few hours it was painful to ride in, the seats were very flat, non supportive and hard. It made the next 14 hours a race to get done with the trip so I could get the heck out of the car and off those seats. The rental had 30K miles on it too so the seats weren't exactly fresh, just rock hard....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: planeman223

You should almost never need everything the car can muster, unless you're on a track. Maybe it's time to put the phone down?
55.gif

Phone down?! - driving and using cell phone - that's illegal in NH! I'm a driver and I'm passing you slow, sleepy unengaged turtles on my commute, sometimes enter off ramp at over 90MPH.

Younger generations cant drive for &^%%$

Rogue is Wrong car for that - I know. But its ubiquitous and invisible.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
The Yaris is a good compromise. Unfortunately stigma associated with the Yaris might be too much for many to overcome.
I had a Yaris 3 door 5M. Fun car with good packaging. The Corollay is uninventive 3/4 scale Camry. Not the way to design a (sub) compact.

S.Honda had the right Idea with the groundbreaking Civic in the mid 80's's. Haven'
t seen much like it before or since. I'm Not a Honda fan but that was a good one
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back