microGreen MG101-7 10,200 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ran out to 10,200 miles using 0w20 Total Quartz 9000 Future
It was on for 15 months and had seen much short tripping- Mitsubishi Outlander Sport- 2L AWD-CVT
ADBV was super pliable and the secondary rear filter wafer does have many particles on top of it.
All louvers are open
Filter build date was 2/11/15

That is a cellulose & glass fiber blended media meaning it should do fine for 10k oil change intervals.
Wonder if that disc wafer chocolate cookie-crisp clogs up in the first 5k miles, leaving a normal oil filter for the rest of the run.
Definitely not made by Purolator (no rips).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Wonder if that disc wafer chocolate cookie-crisp clogs up in the first 5k miles, leaving a normal oil filter for the rest of the run.

I always wonder about that. I'm not convinced enough to buy them.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
At least it probably works for a while. Then its similar to Wix-type blended media alone. Buy it because it at least works for a while; its something.

At least it probably works for a while. Then its similar to Wix-type blended media alone. Buy it because it at least works for a while; its something.
Or don't buy it, because an Ultra costs half as much & filters twice as long?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
wink.gif

And filters almost as good - 80% @ 5 microns.

wink.gif

MicroGreen = $11
Ultra = $9
Thats not "half as much", thats only $2 difference, almost negligible.
The Ultra is a good choice, yet the MicroGreen probably gets more stuff out.

How would you know that?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

How would you know that?
I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I can clearly see the parallel flow path. That is fundamentally sound. Period.

I just bought 8 of these filters for my Accord. I'm planning on doing 2 OCI's on each one (for a total of 15-18k miles for each filter). I'll post pics when I get the first one off and cut it apart.

But I got mine for $11 each. I think they are decent value.

Last edited:
Minor correction required.
The filters were $7 each and free shipping as back in the day they were near $14 with half off sales straight from MG and later Amazon. Plus they often gave away free air filters with coupons to oil filter purchasers. I paid $7 each for all at differing times.

Also to do your Fram comparisons you would have to include the oil........
MG three filters- one jug of oil here at 30K miles
Two Fram Ultras and three jugs of oil for 30K- this vintage-not todays........
Lets be semi accurate.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I just bought 8 of these filters for my Accord. I'm planning on doing 2 OCI's on each one (for a total of 15-18k miles for each filter). I'll post pics when I get the first one off and cut it apart.

But I got mine for $11 each. I think they are decent value.

They can handle that but that is not what they are about. That is why you buy an Ultra or Mobil 1 filter.

How would you know that?

Please provide us with the data you have on the MG filters. Thanks!

The premise of the Microgreen filter is that it has its own internal "bypass filter", so only a fraction of the oil goes through the high filtration media at any point.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
wink.gif

And filters almost as good - 80% @ 5 microns.

Yeah almost as good- nice one!

I have used them for three years. I have no issues with what I found in any of mine. However I could not make an argument that
you too need to use them so I can fully understand why people do not run out and buy them. Also even after all these years many still don't get what they are about. I guess they never read the website. Many think they are a 30K mile filter. They are engineered for 10K runs. They are about conserving oil and of course we all can argue over that. So they are what they are.
No need to really buy them to be honest. I will say the internals are very robust- that is a good thing for many- and no tears on the dozen or so I took apart.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Minor correction required.
The filters were $7 each and free shipping as back in the day they were near $14 with half off sales straight from MG and later Amazon. Plus they often gave away free air filters with coupons to oil filter purchasers. I paid $7 each for all at differing times.

Also to do your Fram comparisons you would have to include the oil........
MG three filters- one jug of oil here at 30K miles
Two Fram Ultras and three jugs of oil for 30K- this vintage-not todays........
Lets be semi accurate.

I need to be accurate too- Each filter change would require oil to be added when the filter is removed. Minor amount in this case.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

How would you know that?

Please provide us with the data you have on the MG filters. Thanks!

I can't because there isn't any, unlike for the Fram mentioned in this thread.

oil_film_movies is the one making the claim, not me. Why didn't you ask him for data to back up his claim instead?

I love how people make unsubstantiated comments and claims and when asked about it, the one asking for substantiation is the one who somehow gets blamed.

How would you know that?
I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I can clearly see the parallel flow path. That is fundamentally sound. Period.

Ahh I see, you have no data. Fair enough but do realize that your statement is opinion and not based on any data.

I too have a BSME and I'd never make statements such as yours based on a visual inspection. But maybe that's just me. I guess I put more emphasis on published filtration data rather than my best guess based on pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back