Alternate size, will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your door sticker for the load rating and see if your proposed tire's rating is equal or better. You lose load rating when you lose sidewall.

Not related (yours is a Nissan) but I switched out the 15" rims on a 2001 Windstar and went with 16" rims from a Ford Taurus... and 215/65-16 tires, and it handled FAR, FAR better.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Check your door sticker for the load rating and see if your proposed tire's rating is equal or better. You lose load rating when you lose sidewall.
that's right. Speedo will read fater than your going, car will accelerate faster
smile.gif
without knowing any more - should work FINE, section width is only 5mm wider each side of the tire which is under a 1/4 " - unnoticable. You will notice the lower profile though. Tire will look tiny in the wheel wells - but who care s its a minivan.

Are these used or boneyard takeoffs?

The tire acts as a shock absorber. Going from 75 to 65 is less shock absorption. Keep your wheels and buy a better 75 tire.

Depends on what you want. Better handling is relative.

Better braking and cornering is fine, until you start driving where that tire will become shredded (pot holes, curbs, rocks, off-road, etc.).

I'll take better ride any day (more sidewall, less air) and tire conformity to the surface (more flex) because I go off-highway.

If you only live in the city on well paved streets and never hit a curb, go down to 40 series if you wish
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Tell us about the incredible things you're gaining by switching to this other tire.

Cost. The vehicle has 238k miles. The tires I am looking at are used. It is used to go to and from school. Highway miles However, if the seller only has two and not a set of four, its a moot point. I will replace with two new tires of the same factory size. The two rear tires are pretty decent. I will probably put two new snow tires on the rear as it gets closer to winter and move the two good tires to the front. In the spring, purchase two new all-season tires.

If it's a matter of cost, and you have no other options... those tires will work fine.

I would assume you are not pushing this van to the limits.

Even if you were forced to run a slightly different tire front to back, it would be preferable to four old, worn, cracked tires all matching in size.

https://xa.yimg.com/df/villagerquest/Whe...p;type=download

Here's a chart of all stock wheel/tire combos for a V/Q

If you want to upgrade, I'd go for anything H rated in the handling package size of P215/70R15 97H

I've had a blowout at highway speed in my '01 with the factory Goodyear Eagle LS's with a T speed rating

Those pants we're never the same...

It weights nearly two tons unladen, you want to keep it on point

If you want 16's, there are many wheels off other cars that'll fit, or keep an eye out for a set off MY99-MY02

For all it's quirk's, stop by the V/Q Yahoo group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/villagerquest/conversations/topics

Why do you want to do this?
smile.gif

If you can wait a week or two, DTD will be having their labor day sale, which will give you a good price for tires of the correct size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back