Makita polisher/buffer pads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
no application? I see they make like a foam pad what's that all about?

I don't even know what 'cutting pad' means...lol and the Lake Country pads are 6.5" does that work?..sorry for all the q's.

Honestly, I recommend you cancel the order. With your level of knowledge it is very likely you will damage your paint. Start with a Random Orbital. Griot's makes a very nice one with a lifetime warranty for a few bucks less. They also sell kits complete with everything you need - including a basic introduction to what you are trying to achieve.

Lake Country Cross Cut Rotary Pads

You do not apply a wax or sealant with a rotary - that's like trying to paint a picture with a hammer.

While not the same brand this might help you

I will let the pros answer your questions. I am just a basic DA using amateur.
Rotary scares me too much for any good car. I'd rather be slow.

71meb3bW%2B1L._SL1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Honestly, I recommend you cancel the order. With your level of knowledge it is very likely you will damage your paint. Start with a Random Orbital. Griot's makes a very nice one with a lifetime warranty for a few bucks less. They also sell kits complete with everything you need - including a basic introduction to what you are trying to achieve.

Lake Country Cross Cut Rotary Pads

You do not apply a wax or sealant with a rotary - that's like trying to paint a picture with a hammer.

+1

DA is a good place to start if you have no knowledge and you should read up on how to's and techniques.

well I'll have to learn on the fly cause it shipped..mainly wanted it for waxing/buffing car paint...it does go slow (variable)

For $20 you can get a wax spreader and remover at WM. Let the machine and product do the work instead of your arms. Use the foam bonnet to apply the wax or sealant. Then switch to the microfiber bonnet for removal.

The rotary that you have will do a good job of polishing. Which is what gets rid of scratches, microscratches, spider webbing and swirls. When starting out use it on one of the lower speeds and that should keep you out of trouble.

You can also by some door skins or hoods cheaply at the junk yard to practice on. Start out on a small area. Buff off with a plush microfiber. Then wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove the oils from the polish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and heads-up..I see pads for applying cleaner/wax (no cutting) will be sure to go slow and keep cool.

Cut refers to how much bite the pad has to help get rid of defects in the paint. Always start with the least aggressive method since the paint is razor thin. As well as the clear coat.

The most aggressive cut would be wet sanding, followed by compounding with a rotary. Polish is a step down in aggressiveness compared to compound. Meguiars Ultimate Polish would be a good start. An All in One contains a little polish and sealant, AIO. So a one step product. HD Speed is available on Autogeek. One of the guys on here recently used some of it. I'll see if I can find the thread.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ail#Post4435774

Last edited:
Yes, it's a cutting pad. Also the paint on the Honda will be soft and may not have a clear coat if the color is white. Which just means to be extra careful with it.

Yes, HD Speed will be fine. I wouldn't use a compounding pad on it though. A less aggressive "polishing" pad will be fine.

k, got it...watch the pads abrasiveness...I have good paints so no cutters needed...keep it cool. then buff it all off with a wool.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
then buff it all off with a wool.

DO NOT use a wool pad to finish. Wool pads are for cutting/compounding. Look at the chart at Lake Country to get an understanding of what each pad/material does before you touch your car. You can't put paint back once you remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back