Magazine for a Taurus PT92C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my club/range two days ago. I was shooting my Taurus PT92C which I bought two years ago. An uncommon gun by any measure. It's a clone of the Beretta 92 but with shorter grip to accommodate a 12 rd. magazine. All steel. Great gun by the way.
After the last round from a box of 50, I couldn't release the magazine.
When I field stripped it to clean it, I removed the grips and it took me awhile and some effort/force to get the stuck mag. out. When I finally did, I saw the problem. The follower had popped out in part on the mag release side of the gun and the lip looked a bit chewed up there.
Previously I purchased two spare mags brand new on eBay. But now, 12 rd. mags for this gun are near impossible to find anf ten rounders are scarcely available at bloated prices. Anybody know where to get 12 round mags for a PT92C?

The 92 and the 92C...with the C designating compact (although it's hardly compact at all) use different magazines. I believe a 92 15 round mag will work with an inch or so extending below the grip. I may go that route with a grip adapter. A 92 10 round will not work.

You didn't really specify if this was a Taurus mag or an aftermarket. I know there will be plenty of arguments here, but IMHO I always use OEM magazines in my handguns (regardless of price). I know the OEM has a susceptibility to defects or poor manufacturing just like aftermarket, but if you're carrying a handgun, it will be a life and death situation if you ever need to draw it. In that case, I trust the OEM to better know the gun and magazine issues and prevent them through QC measures. Is $25-40 extra on a magazine really enough cost to risk your life for a malfunction?

Now on the other hand, if you're talking rifles like my AK, just about anything suffices- I have probably 5 different mag manufacturers and have not had any issues with them other than some of the cheaper poly mags getting chewed up by the mag well/lock area on my AK... but it's nothing that some judicious file or sandpaper work wouldn't fix.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
You didn't really specify if this was a Taurus mag or an aftermarket. I know there will be plenty of arguments here, but IMHO I always use OEM magazines in my handguns (regardless of price). I know the OEM has a susceptibility to defects or poor manufacturing just like aftermarket, but if you're carrying a handgun, it will be a life and death situation if you ever need to draw it. In that case, I trust the OEM to better know the gun and magazine issues and prevent them through QC measures. Is $25-40 extra on a magazine really enough cost to risk your life for a malfunction?

Reading comprehension... try to even FIND a Taurus 92C 12 rd magazine, or even 10 rd magazine at a normal magazine price. Its a rare gun, with low sales numbers, discontinued 20 or more years ago and magazines no longer available from the Manufacturer. Any you do find will command a hefty price.

OP, have you tried a Beretta 92 compact magazine, to see if they are the same length? You might have to modify the magazine catch cut out on the magazine to get it to fit, but I imagine it would be close.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-92fs-compact-magazine-9mm-13-rds/j80400/

OP, do some research here, but the Taurus PT917C replaced the 92C, and in my very limited 3 minute research, it appears that those mags might work in your gun as well. Or not. Do your homework.

917C with extended base-plate magazine
917-B20.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I dont know if this would work with the longer 92 mag or not, worth a try.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101667...t-polymer-black

Thats the route I'm going. Mind you you I do have two 12 rounders that are new, so it's not a critical situation. But I like three mags for each pistol I own as a rule.I ordered the X-Grip adapter for a Beretta 92c and will get a Taurus 92 15 rd. mag which I know will work. Your post is spot on .

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

Now on the other hand, if you're talking rifles like my AK, just about anything suffices- I have probably 5 different mag manufacturers and have not had any issues with them other than some of the cheaper poly mags getting chewed up by the mag well/lock area on my AK... but it's nothing that some judicious file or sandpaper work wouldn't fix.

As former NJ State cop, I don't need any schooling from Internet folk on what to carry or stake my life on. Ive forgotten more about handling critical situations than you ever will know. I never stated I carried it. In fact, I dont. It's too big. It's duty sidearm size. Don't know what your AR has to do with anything being discussed here. Also, the gun had a short life span...91-93 I believe so OEM mags are almost impossible to find and Taurus simply has none, zero. You offered no sound information at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back