Cruze 1.4 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a cruze 1.4t rs package and 6 speed. Has 81k miles. Oil pan gasket weeping pretty good in 1 corner. And some mystery leak by the pulleys. Not coolant or freon. It is a oil leak. But the main question is i want to use pphm or val full syn maxlife. Witch one and why? Valv carries dexos but thats not to big of a deal for me unless im missing something important about the dexos approval.

What year is it? Should have a 5 year100k mile powertrain warranty that covers oil leaks.

Has it had a trans drain/refill ? - they are hard on ATF ... so bad the ATF will look like old motor oil ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What year is it? Should have a 5 year100k mile powertrain warranty that covers oil leaks.

Where are you getting the 100k mile figure from?

5-8K on full syn will have hopefully protected the engine and turbo well enough that you won't have any huge problems. I've been running Synpower (not Maxlife) on 5K intervals in mine since new and it's at 99,850 right now. Mine has only recently developed its first leak of any consequence, at one of the cam phaser covers above the belt drive, but I believe oil pans have been known to leak on these. Snug up bolts and see if it does any good.

There's an extended warranty on the water pump to, if memory serves, 150K/10 years. The 1.4T doesn't respond well to being out of tune or run on poor fuel - check your air filter, plugs, etc. and keep it all tip-top (40K and 60K intervals, I believe) and if you aren't already start running 89 or premium fuel and I'm sure you'll feel the difference. Mine's a '13 stick shift and I'm very pleased with it, but I've maintained it to a T. The only repair it's needed is the water outlet (common), but the valve cover with integral PCV valve is known to give up before 100K. Auto's are hard on fluid, and the manuals came filled with barely enough of a poor lube which starved some bearings and, of course, kaboom, but Amsoil synchromesh pretty much solves all that.

If you aren't already on it I'd sign up on Cruzetalk.com - plenty of good info on the care and feeding of your Cruze there.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

The warranty booklet... 5 yr./100K

Originally Posted By: silverrat

2015 and older Chevys are 5 year/100k miles. 2016 and newer are 5 year/60k miles.

On 1.4T the PCV is part of the composite valve cover. Around the subject mileage it is prudent to get one ($100 on Amazon) - an easy change - have a look at top end.
Having said that - at 80k I asked the dealer about the PCV life expectancy- he said bring it in and the mechanics will check it out. They replaced valve cover/PCV - and all the plumbing tied to the engine ventilation system.
No charge. Car ran better.

Last edited:
I'd run a substantial oil in that engine, the wimpy Dexo ILSAC swil will be obliterated quickly.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Sounds like a Power steering pressure hose is leaking. Very common in Chevy's. Always leaks by the pulleys.

Chevy put electrons in a hose?

In Oz, GM Australia spec the high HTHS Dexos2 oil in those little 1.4L Turbo Cruze engines, not the thinner Dexos1 ILSAC oil.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Has it had a trans drain/refill ? - they are hard on ATF ... so bad the ATF will look like old motor oil ...

Yes please do a drain and fill on the tranny the gets dark pretty quick . I been using castrol transmax full syn

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'd run a substantial oil in that engine, the wimpy Dexo ILSAC swil will be obliterated quickly.

True that, our roadsides are littered with hulks of dead GMs.

The Castrol MV (with Dex VI approval) is getting hard to find - I have a stash but quit using in Cruze to save for GMC.
Running MaxLife right now ...

Right - I know of one that just went clunky - only got 400k on original 4L60e - terrible man, terrible ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back