Discount Tire Direct rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Anyone else ever have difficulty using these so called "rebates"? DTD doesn't mail you a rebate check, they send you a stupid prepaid VISA card that has proven to be a bit of a challenge to use. It says "Debit" on the card, but the fine print says to use it as credit. My wife tried to use it at a restaurant. Declined. I've tried to use it for gas. Declined. I guess I'll try it for online purchases next. What gives? Anyone have a similar experience?

Might need to register it and assign it a PIN number-I've had ones that worked like a credit card, and ones that needed a PIN assigned. I always give them to Mrs. Bullwinkle and she uses them at the store (generally WM) immediately to remove any chance of any charges depleting them.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Anyone else ever have difficulty using these so called "rebates"? DTD doesn't mail you a rebate check, they send you a stupid prepaid VISA card that has proven to be a bit of a challenge to use. It says "Debit" on the card, but the fine print says to use it as credit. My wife tried to use it at a restaurant. Declined. I've tried to use it for gas. Declined. I guess I'll try it for online purchases next. What gives? Anyone have a similar experience?

This is how tons of rebates work these days. What I do is use it to pay bills, like my cell phone. I just enter a payment amount of $50 (if I have a $50 card, for example), punch in the card number, and it's done.

The reason it won't work for restaurants or gas sometimes is that these places do an authorization above the actual credit limit. Let's say you are planning to buy $25 worth of gas and have a $50 card -- the gas station might do a pre-auth of $100, which is, of course, higher than the card's limit. Restaurants do it because they aren't sure how big of a gratuity you'll leave.

Never had a problem. Use like a credit card, forget about the debit part, no pin required. I use them up at Walmart often, frequently at self checkout. Slide the card, if/when asks for pin press cancel then credit, should be good to go. If going to a cashier tell them is a promotions 'credit' card, and they'll follow through on it at register. And when you get to the end of balance, tell cashier amount left to charge, then finish paying with cash or credit.

Gas stations require prepay inside giving them an amount. I don't use it at gas stations because I have a CC that gives 5% back on gas.

Worse comes to worse, go to a store you shop often and turn it into a store gift card. One member here turns them into an Amazon balance credit.

Originally Posted By: dparm

The reason it won't work for restaurants or gas sometimes is that these places do an authorization above the actual credit limit. Let's say you are planning to buy $25 worth of gas and have a $50 card -- the gas station might do a pre-auth of $100, which is, of course, higher than the card's limit. Restaurants do it because they aren't sure how big of a gratuity you'll leave.

This x2. It even mentions this restriction on the letter that comes with the card.

I try to use my cards at the most boring place possible... the supermarket. Best thing is if I have, say, $18.53 left, the supermarket will finish off that card and then put the rest of the balance on a "real" CC.

You cant prepay for fuel with it most stations will put a $129 authorization on it
this applies to regular debit/credit cards as well.

Just use it inside the gas station or at the grocery store.. for EZ mode.

I purchased my most recent set of tires from DTD and was rewarded with $100 in rebates in the form of the card. I used it like others mentioned including on Rock Auto. No issues.

DT rebates are some of the best rebates i've ever done. It cannot be ran for anything with an open ended price like restaurant or gas at the pump. I look at my fuel level, do some quick math, and ask for $32 or so and get really close to filling the tank. They run it for exactly $32 and it goes through. In fact, gas stations are the easiest way to use the last balance up. Say you have $14.93 left over, just go in and ask for that exact amount in fuel and throw the card away.

I use the rebate card to buy Amazon credit if equal value. That's easy to use and you don't have to worry about losing the card or forgetting some of the money on it.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Used them many times without a problem.

Every one of your concerns is addressed in the letter which comes with the card.

You did read it?

"I use the rebate card to buy Amazon credit if equal value. That's easy to use and you don't have to worry about losing the card or forgetting some of the money on it."

I do this, add to Amazon account balance the exact value of the card. I'll spend it eventually.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Used them many times without a problem.

Every one of your concerns is addressed in the letter which comes with the card.

You did read it?

Yes my two concerns were addressed on the back of the paperwork the cards were stuck to. I didn't catch it until after the fact and didn't understand the reasoniong until reading some of the helpful posts above. Like said, I've never gotten other than a rebate check in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back