Eclipse Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty far from Totality. Probably futher than 98% of people in the lower 48.
wink.gif

Nice. I did not buy a solar filter for my lens, hence my Sun images in clear sky were over exposed and the cloudy ones are obviously cloudy.
smile.gif

36673115286_faafd9a20a_o.jpg

35884536014_cdd0ca0db5_o.jpg

Surprised not one going yet. Here are some shots from Athens, TN. Just south of centerline. 2min 35 seconds of totality. Pictures do not do this justice. I've never seen anything like it in my life. Love the aircraft contrails in the first pic.

Last edited:
Set up my TV refractor + solar filter before 'intrusion' and watched the event slowly progress. One long chain of sunspots then a smaller nice group on the lower right, a bit on 'the edge of the sphere' so to speak. Like being able read some lettering on the edge of a basketball when viewing it from straight on.

A few neighbors wandered over and I gave them a look. Once it reached sufficient altitude and obstruction, the driveway and sled hood was littered with hundreds of tiny solar crescents:

The neighbors were wow'd by this. They'd never heard of it.

The high so far is 93°F. About 10° below usual. Solar intensity really dropped, the light turned 'silvery/gray'. I'm in about the 65% zone. Standing in the Sun was quite a bit cooler than at 1pm CDT (6p UTC). I'm curious how the temporary cooling from the NW to the SE, across such a large area of the continental USA would affect the weather.

My weather station is a Davis Vantage PRO unit with a solar intensity sensor. Here's the hourly readings it stored:

Time (CDT).........Solar Intensity (W/M^2)
12p........................843
1p.........................536
2p.........................335
2:30p......................874

Here's a few photos taken by holding the camera up to the TV's eyepiece. In the first, you can see a large sunspot just to the left of the limb. In photo #2, you can see two smaller groups to the right of the first. This also shows the direction the Moon is moving.

Unfiltered smartphone?

I like how, lacking light, you have "dusk" coming from 10 miles away where there's still some sunshine.

I tried telling the wife & kids that the shadows were going to be "weird", explaining bokeh etc to them and they finally saw what I was trying to explain!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Unfiltered smartphone?

I like how, lacking light, you have "dusk" coming from 10 miles away where there's still some sunshine.

Yes. All unfiltered on the S7. Tried some pics through the viewing glasses but they did not turn out well. Even with 1% visible, it just looked like a blur. I also tried to capture the "darkness" from all directions but the pictures do not do it justice.

Just glad I'm not out on the roads in the path of this. It's looking ugly.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
JHZR2, these are very nice. What filter did you use?

Glass solar filter from Spectrum Telescope, on a 500mm sigma lens. Obviously cropped a good deal, but a lot owas lost on the upload. Similar to when shooting the moon, where you can make out curvature based upon the craters, the sunspots did the same on the sun at one point, but hard to show with quality on the site upload...

Can you imagine prehistoric man and his fear at the sight of something like that?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I didn't see anything. I was outside changing the fuel filter on my truck.

Yeah, We didn't get hardly any effect in Texas.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Yeah, We didn't get hardly any effect in Texas.

Speak for yourself. Here in the Dallas area we saw 78% coverage. Very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back