Anyone know if Liquid Glass is abrasive to the CC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember seeing this stuff on the shelves at AutoZone maybe 10 years ago. I seem to recall that the reputation at that time was that it worked great, but for the price you could get a product with better value. I'm sure it's fine for clear coats as a product like that wouldn't be harsh enough to damage paint anyway.

The local Autozone still has it, but at a considerably higher price than I found through Amazon. They recommend it for clear-coat finishes. I used it, but can't compare to anything else.

Unless Liquid Glass has changed their formula over the years, I'd say it is just OLD Tech from waaaaay back. I tried LG back in the 1980s on the hood of a vehicle and compared it to other popular products.

I did(my own) controlled test by taping off sections of the hood and labeling the areas with the names of each products. I could hardly tell any difference between any of the wax/silicone products as-far-as shine/gloss improvement, ease of use(applying/removing), water beading & longevity.

Liquid Glass was about $18+ back in the 80s and about the same price even today. Meaning IMO, it's overpriced compared to newer products today, which seem to score higher than LG, by the professional testers. LG may have been the ticket in the 1960s & 70s but today, it's just an also ran.

Blue Coral for example,(not the new stuff) back in the day was also held in high regard but, that old stuff wouldn't hold a candle to today's products in ease of use alone.

BC was a tough product to remove and they(BC) only recommended putting on & removing a 1ft X 1ft area at a time otherwise it was staying there on your paint.
I remember in the early 70s, one detailer friend of mine had mentioned..."if you don't remove this stuff right away, you'd have to remove BC with a sander"!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Using liquid glass on clear coat it is possible to do whole panels I don't remember if it's recommended though but not as tough as without a CC. Do remember though it is a sealant not a wax so you want to remove any wax so it binds better. I believe they also say to leave the car in the sun a couple hours after it's applied and buffed it cures and becomes more durable. It will last quite awhile however if your paint isn't great it won't give you as deep wet look or cover imperfections like waxes can.

I use it on a black 2005 honda, it goes on and comes off easily and the car looks great afterwards. I will say that it does nothing to get rid of the fine scratches behind the door handles so I don't think it has much polishing ability. I usually use plain turtle wax around the handles.

Silica Oxide coatings and sealants have really improved over the years. Check out this website for some brands.

http://www.autogeekmobile.net

Somewhat the same principle as the Liquid Glass but that is a polish and finish in one. Do you need a polish? Many of the new products are spray or apply with applicator then buff dry. Some sprays are used by spraying a section of your car then hose it off with water. Instant hydrophobic coating.

As PimTac points out, there are far more advanced coatings out there now, intended for use with clear-coat paint jobs. They last longer, provide better protection, and are EXTREMELY hydrophobic, so they literally repel water.

Hit up Autogeek.com or another detailing site, and look for something like C-quartz, etc.. Heck, even a good sealant like Klasse works wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back