Are Kymco scooters decent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm combing craigslist for a scooter for my daughter to ride around college campus. Are Kymco sccoters reliable? They appear to be a cut above the cheap Chinese alternatives like Tao Tao. Are the cheap Chinese options worth looking at? So far I've been concentrating on Yamaha Zuma and Vino models. Used Kymco's are significantly cheaper. Also, would mixing 2 cycle oil be a hassle for a college kid? I'm envisioning just adding a plastic packet of oil to the tank at fill up time.
Thanks for your help!

I would look for a used Honda Ruckus. Can resell without any issue for what you spend now if you buy right. I've bought and sold 3 and made $$$ on all even buying one new before they stopped production for a couple years. One of the most modified scooters out there.

Avoid the chinese scooters at all costs unless you are very handy.

Kymco on the other hand is an excellent buy. They've made motors for honda and yamaha under license in the past. Usually they have less features and are more value based, but simple and reliable.

Originally Posted By: slug_bug
Also, would mixing 2 cycle oil be a hassle for a college kid?
Thanks for your help!

Yes they are OK to buy....way above chineese ones!

Regarding your second question
smile.gif
Did they take this at ELEMENTARY school ???
grin.gif

Metering bottle + .....(picture)

krini_raun_640.jpg

why not treat her with a nice Vespa to ride around with style?

A GTS or a Sprint? The Sprint with the 3 valve aircooled engine is really, i mean really easy on gas.

In Asia, specifically Taiwan, I remember seeing Kymco all over the place. I think they're better than average. Maybe not as "good" as a Honda or Yamaha, but more than good enough, and probably a great value.

I would probably skip a 2 stroke.

Found the manual online. It is oil injection. The manual says it takes JASO-2TFC oil. I'm having a hard time finding oil with that spec. Can anyone point me to an oil that would meet or exceed this spec. that is easy to find?

Kymco makes excellent scooters.

PGO, Kymco, SYM, and TGB make some fantastic scooters. You might know PGO here in the states as Genuine Scooter Company. Kymco has excellent engines. In fact BMW has and currently uses Kymco engines in their c650 scooters and a 450cc enduro bikes. Granted those engines are built to BMW specs and design and are not licensed anywhere else. That just shows the manufacturing capabilities and quality you can get from Kymco. Kymco has also made engines for Honda.

So yes, the above Taiwan manufacturers make fantastic scooters and are way WAY better than the Chinese made options. IMHO stay away from the Chinese scoots. I have a Yamaha Zuma 125 and a Genuine Buddy 125 and they are both high quality scoots. My 2017 Zuma is made in Japan and the Buddy is made in Taiwan. The quality is pretty dang equal between the two. Don't hesitate with a Taiwanese made Scooter. They are one of the scooter capitals of the world and so they know a thing or two about them.

My brother is using my Zuma at college for the first semester and I ride my Buddy everywhere in town (college town too) and even rode it to work today. Mine are all 4 stroke so I don't worry about it. I see plenty of college kids riding 50cc 2 stroke around here. I don't think it will be too big of a deal as long as she doesn't mind mixing it. Get what you and your daughter like and ride it. My scooters make me smile more than any of the motorcycles that I have or had.

Oh..and a guy Wanderingtyson just rode around the USA on a Genuine Scooter Rough House 50cc. You should look him up, it was an epic ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slug_bug
Found the manual online. It is oil injection. The manual says it takes JASO-2TFC oil. I'm having a hard time finding oil with that spec. Can anyone point me to an oil that would meet or exceed this spec. that is easy to find?

O boy you just like to complicate a lot
smile.gif

Jaso FC / ISO TC

or even better

Jaso FD / ISO TD

In your case...designation is just JASO FC.....2T (TWO STROKE) oil
smile.gif

Last edited:
Kymcos have a good reputation as far as I am aware.

I think one of the Kawasaki super scooters is, I think, a rebadged Kymco, I will double check.

Some Chinese scooters and lightweight Motorbikes are actually fairly decent these days. But the good ones are in the minority.

The good brands are Lexmoto, Sinnis and Keeway

Last edited:
Kymco's all over Holland (not Michigan). They run the snoot out of scooters there. Hop up kits, etc. I looked at a bigger Kymco last time I was over there. Nice scooter. Not quite a Peugeot, but still very nice
smile.gif

NL has lots of "blue plate" scooter paths and they run where roads do not. So it's a good way to see the country w/o having to battle car traffic. We're looking at doing a whole tour of Holland on scooters in a year or two ...
laugh.gif

May be Kymco's are what we'll use ...

I have a Kymco Super 9. Great scooter. I've used Amsoil Dominator and Redline oils in the oil injection system. Would not hesitate to recommend or purchase another Kymco product. They have a sure enough dealer network so you can get real OE service and replacement parts.

as the others have said, Kymco is the real deal..quality Taiwanese manufacturer...great scoots, dumb names. Check it out for yourself at the kymcoforum.com. I've had a People S200 (163cc) for about 2 years...solid, reliable, fast and has local dealer support for parts and service (but hasn't needed anything other than basic maintenance).

Avoid the generic Chinese throw away scooters sold at used car lots...stick with a brand that provides real dealer support. Kymco, SYM, Genuine are all great values and on roughly the same quality level as the Japanese scooters.

Yes they are very good.
I own a kymco people 50 great quality taiwanese paid $250
I also have a kymco super 8 150 lesser quality Chinese but I only paid $175
Yamaha jog great quality only built for smaller people like 150lbs Max but arguably one of the fastest stock scooters.
Honda elite sr50 slightly bigger and slower than jog but great quality.
I would avoid all 4 strokers.
If you need 4 stroke buy an actual motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back