Nokian Entyres: how are them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting 4 of these for my mazda5 (backs are 3/32 and fronts are gone).
What experience you had with them in dry/rain/snow/ice?

These are the "older" style, not the new 2.0.

Thank you

Which one there are a bunch of models including summer only.

are you getting the all season V speed rated ones?

Looks at least average. I'd expect decent winter performance except in deeper snow or very sloppy slush
Where the mild tread pattern would hurt. Probably not an issue first winter.. but maybe when they are worn abit.
Definitely not a winter tire.. geniune all-season there with all the compromises.

Probably excellent MPG and noise. Treadlife might not be the best.

I have a set of them on my Buick 205/70/15. Tall sidewall so that doesn't really help with handling one bit. I have a problem with them being too soft, I imagine the sidewalls would be much firmer on your size. Mine at the proper factory inflation pressure (30 psi) look completely flat. To the point that the speedometer was off by a few MPH. Just looking at them I would say they had half the sidewall height they are supposed to. I inflated them to 40 PSI and that pretty much took care of the height issue. Other than being the softest tires I have ever driven on (like hot marshmallows) they are pretty good. They are silent and smooth, traction is actually very good. Drove through some rain that was bad enough to where it was getting kicked up by the tires and hitting the outside rear view mirrors on both sides. No issues with traction at all in that weather, hoping winter will be decent as well. If they weren't so soft, I would be 100% satisfied. I also got them for $41 each at Walmart online.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
OK at best. Nokian is expert for hard core snow tires. And even those are really good only in snow and ice, dry and wet not so much.

Of course my experience is different from yours.

I had the Hakkapeliitta RSI, which gripped the dry road better than the Pirelli P6 4-season that came with the car. The Pirelli's squealed during every hard turn in the other 3 seasons.

Naturally, most winter tires are not that good in the wet. But, iirc, the Nokian WR D4 is the first winter tire to achieve a European A rating for wet performance.

I have also ran the WR G3, which I have no issues in the snow, ice, dry (including all 4-seasons) and wet. They don't grip like a Conti EC DWS in the other 3 seasons, but that's the compromise you make.

Now, I'll have to decide between the Nokian Z-line A/S and Entyre 2.0 (more expensive) to run as 3-season tires next year, when I replace the ContiProContacts

OK at best. Nokian is expert for hard core snow tires. And even those are really good only in snow and ice, dry and wet not so much.

My Hakka R2 are my best tires for putting down power, even on cold/damp pavement. I can actually accelerate better with my R2 compared to my Mich Super Sport or A/S3+ in the dry.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

My Hakka R2 are my best tires for putting down power, even on cold/damp pavement. I can actually accelerate better with my R2 compared to my Mich Super Sport or A/S3+ in the dry.

Hard to believe but I own neither.

Krzysztof

I have 2000 miles on them, installed a few months ago. Overall I like them. They ride firm, probably because of the load rating which is 94XL. They are quiet and excellent in the rain. Tread wear is 700 utqg. Temp A, Traction A, a good all around tire. Too new to comment about winter traction. Took very little weight to balance and one tire didn't need any weight. They were balanced on a Hunter machine.

They have built in wear indicators that count down from 8 to 1. As each number wears away that's how much tread is left. Each lower number is carved into the center tread a little deeper. I expect to get a good 50k out of them. Maybe even 60k. Very good Amazon reviews. Size is 205/55r16. Bought on Amazon for $44.50 with fees and delivered for $194. Plus mount and balance at Ford Quick Lane $80 out the door. So $274 installed with no rebates to deal with.

I could have purchased some Westlake tires for $29 but the winter traction reviews were iffy. So I'll spend the extra $60 for a little insurance over the next 4-5 years. I had some performance all season Hankooks on for 65k miles and they were pretty worn. So these are a welcome change. Whew!

I will rotate these every 5k miles when an oil change is done. Easy to remember. Had an alignment done at the Toyota dealer with before and after printouts. First time the 05 Matrix has had one. So glad I went ahead with it even it tracked straight and one tire shop said wear on the tires looked fine to them. I think they were more interested in selling some tires though. They wanted $360 for some Toyos installed and out the door.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I had the Hakkapeliitta RSI, which gripped the dry road better than the Pirelli P6 4-season that came with the car. The Pirelli's squealed during every hard turn in the other 3 seasons.

Naturally, most winter tires are not that good in the wet. But, iirc, the Nokian WR D4 is the first winter tire to achieve a European A rating for wet performance.

I have also ran the WR G3, which I have no issues in the snow, ice, dry (including all 4-seasons) and wet. They don't grip like a Conti EC DWS in the other 3 seasons, but that's the compromise you make.

Now, I'll have to decide between the Nokian Z-line A/S and Entyre 2.0 (more expensive) to run as 3-season tires next year, when I replace the ContiProContacts

I had Nokian WR G3 on one of my cars in Europe (unfortunately got the car with them) and never again. Pure POS of a tire. I used it during winter, and in ice were comparable to Hankook W300 I once had which were by far the worst snow tire I ever owned.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Yes, because acceleration 0-60 is all you need in a car.

I had Nokian WR G3 on one of my cars in Europe (unfortunately got the car with them) and never again. Pure POS of a tire. I used it during winter, and in ice were comparable to Hankook W300 I once had which were by far the worst snow tire I ever owned.

The WR G3 was never available in Europe. So you either had the WR A3 or the WR D3.

I didn't have trouble on ice, on a FWD car. Even stopped the car on a ice patch on the passenger side of the car, where due to unequal length driveshafts, it will naturally spin. It hooked up quickly without much intrusion from the electronic diff lock system. It also got me up steep, packed snow driveway where an AWD Infinti QX60 had trouble with (to its deficit, it had nearly brand new Michelin Latitude Tour)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm in heaven...

They have the m+s symbol
(This is my first tire like that; be gentle with me guys, my standards are 3 pairs of coopers, 1 pair of generals, 1 pair of eagle rs and the worn OEMs)

205/50/17
93V XL
560 thread rating
3 made 2516
1 made 0616
...so probably I will not get the same mileage as Satin Silver (But many thanks for the review)

...Made in Russia (i'm a kid again)

Getting mounted today

Also probably fixing the noisy wheel bearings on the car, so i should have a quieter vehicle all-around.

Many thanks for all the opinions and reviews guys.

BITOG Rocks!

M+S doesn't hold much value. It's just a minimum void to tread ratio a tire must have. It has no meaning on performance.

The stock tires, Mazda put on the car would have been M+S also. The Eagle RS are M+S also.

If I remember right, Consumer Reports said the wear, despite its UTQG rating isn't that great.

UG_Passat,

I'm just happy for new tires.

Also first time I'm trying the Nokian brand.

I even choose to forgo some existing thread on the Copper Rs-3A back tires to replace all 4 instead of the fronts.

I hope I would not be in Chicago to test the winter capability....but if I do, I will report back with my experiences.

The WR G3 was never available in Europe. So you either had the WR A3 or the WR D3.

I didn't have trouble on ice, on a FWD car. Even stopped the car on a ice patch on the passenger side of the car, where due to unequal length driveshafts, it will naturally spin. It hooked up quickly without much intrusion from the electronic diff lock system. It also got me up steep, packed snow driveway where an AWD Infinti QX60 had trouble with (to its deficit, it had nearly brand new Michelin Latitude Tour)

Yes, it is D3, now when I saw tread pattern.
Either way, far, far behind in every aspect compare to winter tires like Continental TS 810 or 830, Good Year Ultra Grip 7, 8 and 9 and Sava Eskimo S3. Those are tires I owned on my vehicles in Europe last decade.
I might actually try this winter here Nokian Hakka R2 on Tiguan if price is OK for 215/65 R16 (I down size in winter on that car from 235/50 R18). So will let know people. So far of all tires I had in last 20+ years, Sava Eskimo S3 was by far the best in hardcore conditions, not so good in dry and wet. Probably of all winter tires, Continental's were the one that were really good in all conditions.

I had a set, 5 or 6 years ago. I don't recall downside, other than perhaps cost--I know I went RT43 afterwards, and going from bald entyres to RT43's was a shock in how much more "loose" the car felt (on my Jetta). I don't recall liking the entyres, I just recall going cheap around that time and not willing to pay more upfront.

Hmm, i actually have TWO sets of WR D3, one in 185/60 r14 and one in 195/65 r15. Bigger size was , this past winter, on my van and they performed superb in couple of blizzards in Slovenia.

Motor und Sport rated them above T850, Ultra grip , etc. Actually they rated WR D3 best. Admittedly test was performed in 2013, but successor the WR D4 is rated highly as well. Compared with Alpin 5 I really can't see much difference except price wise.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back