XG9100 on a SBC Queston for Motoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The short answer is no. If you use a filter not cataloged for the application, there is no warranty. So if you had an issue with a failure, you are on your own. Every filter company has the same policy. There are a significant differences in the o ring between the XG5 and XG9100. That said, why not use the HP4? It is still 94% efficiency at 20 microns, the XG is 99, splitting hairs there on a clean engine that is well maintained. And, it is never a good idea to block off a bypass valve.

If you block off the bypass valve in the block then be sure to use a filter with a bypass valve, like the Fram racing filter Motorking mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
The short answer is no. If you use a filter not cataloged for the application, there is no warranty. So if you had an issue with a failure, you are on your own. Every filter company has the same policy.

This is one reason why I seldom upsize a filter or use a filter that the book does not call for. If you have a filter malfunction, you are on your own for damages. Yes, it's true the odds are small that a filter will malfunction, but occasionally it does.
That being said, I will admit I have a 1-quart filter on one of my 4.0 Jeeps where the book calls for a half-quart filter. That engine has about 300K miles on it and is going to be replaced this Fall anyway.

What warranty, he has a blocked off filter by-pass. Put the largest oil filter that will fit and be sure it has a by-pass valve. Without the by-pass you can get very high PSID readings on cold oil starts and that can and has damaged filters. Just check and see if it flows more than 10 gpm and should be good. 10gpm is 1(one) gal every 6 sec's or .67 qt's every second and I can't think of any SBC's that pump that much oil.

ROD

^What he said-and I would try to get a filter with the strongest can available, since that is what would fail due to the blocked off bypass. I've never used the HP Fram filters, but that would be a good way to go. Unfortunately the tank-like Bosch Distance Plus D3510 doesn't have a bypass.

Originally Posted By: mohrperformance
Could a XG9100 be used for a high performance sbc with blocked filter bypass, in place of a XG5 or HP4?

Well, if the filter bypass is already blocked..... go for it

I run fram 9100's on my 7.4/454 (it was made for a DuraMax). It's a pretty high setting, like 20 psi - but BETTER THAN NOTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back