Instant Pot Pressure cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one of these things??? I sub to a few cooking channels on Youtube where they use the Instant Pot. Looks intriguing.

I have a lot of recipes from my mom and deceased relatives that are great, make a lot of food, but take time and this pressure cooker thing looks like it might make life easier.

Thanks!

Yep its Great.

My pot roast comes out like it was in a 10hour slowcooker but takes about an hour..
(getting up to heat/pressure takes time)

I throw in a chuck roast, a little beef stock, some carrots and then potatoes. Season well.
set it for 45-60min depending on preference.

your cook time is usually the setting plus 15 or 20min to get up to temp.

Wife cooks in it once in a while. Not sure what she's doing wrong, but most of the time stuff burns to the bottom of the pan and it's a major PITA to get it cleaned up afterwards.

I have owned both the Pressure cooker you put on stove and now have the one with it's own heating element that just plugs in, that is much more convenient.
Used a lot while cooking on my sailboat as it cooks so much faster and uses less fuel.

Makes cheap cuts of beef or pork so flavorful and tender. Cooks beans much faster.
As Rand stated, a roast comes out beautiful and so tender.
Some of my favorites I make in pressure cooker are Swiss Steak, Saulsberry Steak, and stuffed cabbage.

Pete if stuff burns to the bottom of the pan, she may not be using the spacer that keeps food off the bottom, and don't forget you need extra water for the steam.

Huge fan. Get an extra insert and the functionality about doubles. There's even a decent tapioca recipe for the thing.

I've done both with and without the spacer. I like chuck roast without the spacer.. most other things WITH the spacer.

If I'm not in a hurry I will do a quick browning on both sides too.. maybe 2min per side in a preheated hot pan@ 400-450F or so. Works pretty good with the chuck roast's short vertical grain.

If you are using a different cut of roast I recommend large cubes or slices.

I dont like how stringy the long grain roasts can be.

you Have to have enough liquid to make good steam I usually use 15oz or so (1 can)

chili comes out pretty good too but I prefer it in a large thick-bottomed stock pot.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Pete if stuff burns to the bottom of the pan, she may not be using the spacer that keeps food off the bottom,

What does that spacer look like and where does it go?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Pete if stuff burns to the bottom of the pan, she may not be using the spacer that keeps food off the bottom,

Looks like a mini round cooling rack for baked goods.

this isnt exactly it but close
41LSYBibptL._SY300_.jpg

You place it on the bottom to prevent burning(at least that is what I do) I'm not claiming to be an expert.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Looks like a mini round cooling rack for baked goods.

this isnt exactly it but close
41LSYBibptL._SY300_.jpg

You place it on the bottom to prevent burning(at least that is what I do) I'm not claiming to be an expert.

The stuff she cooks in it is fairly liquidy, so it would go right through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back