Cadillac CTS-V wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am bored, I mean having another mid life episode,

I have been looking at these LS based family cars,

So what is the consensus on these CTS-Vs? I am thinking of an automatic, how is the tranny? Any weak spots?

They're pretty bulletproof. Supercharger had some bearing issues that was covered under warranty/TSB.

Brother's friend sold his sedan because it was "too fast and hard to have fun with on city streets." AKA he doesn't know how to drive, lol.

-You don't see to many of them
-They are true performance cars
-They are reliable
You won't be bored.
smile.gif

Had a chance to drive one at a track-day years ago. If I had the $$$, one would be sitting in my garage right now.

They are great cars; the ATS-V and CTS-V are the only Cadillacs I'd actually want to own- world class performance cars.

non-technical answer:
saw one at an Ikea... It fit all the things needed with the back row down.....

you will ride a wagon in style! (That is admirative/jaw-drop-envy, not condescending)

I think the only competitors in the class are:

-the new Buick/Opel wagon - not yet out
-the nice dodge magnum - good luck with finding one with no "bling" and they are at least 10 years old now
-bmw wagons
-MB wagons
-couple passat limited wagons
-Volvo T5?

If you need all wheel drive, V60 Polestar is an option. That said, The CTS-V wagon is pretty cool. Kind of rare as I understand it.

A buddy has a 2005 CTS-V (sedan, manual) that he has tracked for years without issue. He just burns through tires, brakes, and rotors on the track without any drivetrain issues.

Sounds like the powertrain is good.

I am getting used one, don't have the $$$ for a new one.
Any year I should be looking for?

I don't mind a sedan too, but I can wanted it to be a wagon looking boring fam car which can whoop some behind.

Originally Posted By: glock19
A buddy has a 2005 CTS-V (sedan, manual) that he has tracked for years without issue. He just burns through tires, brakes, and rotors on the track without any drivetrain issues.

I saw a few on craigs, but they were stick shift, I want an auto.

good to hear his one is going strong.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
If you need all wheel drive, V60 Polestar is an option. That said, The CTS-V wagon is pretty cool. Kind of rare as I understand it.

nah, summer only car, I am good with rwd.

CTS-V is the unicorn of LS performance; all that power (and capability of sooooo much more with just a few tweaks)... as a daily driver it will be docile and behaved, with Caddy creature comforts. If you get a tune with the auto be sure to check reviews; some tuners do not quite have 6L90 settings down and can result in hitting rev limiter in lower gears. Drivetrain near bulletproof, brakes like a boat anchor, will slip past 99% of cops without a second glance (as long as its not red). Only downside is the CUE system sucks. LS's make a little more wear metals than most but it hasn't really affected anyone's longevity. Just don't cheap out on fluids and it will serve you reliably until you are bored.
smile.gif

Nothing like your grandfathers station wagon.
would love to own one myself, rarer than hens teeth around here.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I am bored, I mean having another mid life episode,

I have been looking at these LS based family cars,

So what is the consensus on these CTS-Vs? I am thinking of an automatic, how is the tranny? Any weak spots?

If you've ever watched the movie Hit and Run, Dax Shepard "cast" a CTS-V wagon as the bad-guy car in the climactic chase scene with a Z-06 Corvette (C6). It very accurately hung with the Corvette all the way through, and in fact might have had an edge. It certainly was cooler looking.

They're very impressive vehicles, truly one of the most powerful wagons ever let loose and with the chassis to back up the power. The down side... you WILL NOT find one in good shape for a bargain. People know what they're worth, and they're either hanging on to them or asking a lot for them. They're pretty bulletproof, though the supercharged LS does sometimes have heat-soak power reduction issues compared to the Hellcat. But that seems to only show up during back-to-back dragstrip runs, not ordinary spirited driving.

I don't know exactly what TRUECar is, but they have 10 used CTS-V wagons listed online for between $47k and $60k.
Pretty nice looking vehicles, especially considering they are wagons...

I looked up wiki on cts-v,
Gen 3 has mucho hps, wow,
I am going to look for a Gen2 used,

Cool, good to see that wagons are not that rare.

Originally Posted By: fd1430
Own a 2013 ctsv wagon love it!!
So far very reliable and a blast to drive.

Get out, how is the insurance on it?

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Sounds like the powertrain is good.

I am getting used one, don't have the $$$ for a new one.
Any year I should be looking for?

I don't mind a sedan too, but I can wanted it to be a wagon looking boring fam car which can whoop some behind.

2014 was the last model year for the CTS-V wagon, so used is your only option if you want a wagon. Also, the CTS-V wagons do not look boring at all...not exactly a sleeper when you roll up on someone.

Personally, I would look for a 2013 or 2014 just to try to find a more "recent" lower mileage example. Most people that have CTS-Vs tend to drive them enthusiastically as opposed to babying and pampering them. After all, that is what they were designed for
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back