Purchased a Nest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation was easy, loving it so far! I can control it from my phone from wherever I am. Still need to sit down and read the user guide to see all of the features it has to offer.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
It bears an uncanny resenblance to HAL 9000. Just wait till it informs you that you don't need that cooling power.

If it turns red, run!

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Big Google is watching you through that thermostat!

It's funny that you mention that...I watched a program recently where someone suggested that Google (and some others) are getting so big and powerful that it might be time to consider them a 'monopoly' and break them up like they did with the 'phone company' years ago....

I've had a gen 2 for a few years.. works good.

The gen 3 is mainly just a slightly bigger screen.

Just purchased a Amazon Echo and supposedly can control many wifi remote items,call friends get weather reports and have it tell you of appointments and make lists.
Star Trek fans must be elated

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Interesting tech but I don't understand the need beyond a basic programmable.

$241 on Amazon?
eek.gif
Are you getting the door locks next?

Everyone has different needs. I work varying days. My wife stays at home. Kids in and out all the time. No way to set a "normal" schedule for our home.
I have had (and used) programmable thermostats for years, setting temps a little warmer during the day, cooling a little more at night, sometimes remembering to set temp to "away" mode when we all left for a while.
Helped reduce the electric bill vs a standard thermostat.

I bought a Lux GEO Wifi thermostat last year (was ~$100). I programmed it pretty much the same as the other one, but this one has a Geo-fence, that when our phones are beyond a specific distance, it automatically goes into away mode. when we come back into the area, it goes back to normal mode. This has dropped our electric bill since it knows when we are not home and adjusts automatically. Also nice that it starts cooling again before we get back.

I could not see spending the $200+ for the Nest (as well as the concerns over what Google can do with it), but for $100, well worth it IMO.

If your pattern of going to work, coming home, and waking up are somewhat regimented, you don't really need a Nest... a $40 programmable thermostat will suffice.

A Nest mat be useful if you have an active household with unpredictable schedules, or if you want to remotely adjust it from your phone. Nest senses when someone is in a room or leaves, and adjusts the temperature accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
If your pattern of going to work, coming home, and waking up are somewhat regimented, you don't really need a Nest... a $40 programmable thermostat will suffice.

A Nest mat be useful if you have an active household with unpredictable schedules, or if you want to remotely adjust it from your phone. Nest senses when someone is in a room or leaves, and adjusts the temperature accordingly.

Thanks for the info. So you should put a Nest in every room so it can sense where people are throughout the house and do it's thing?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Kestas

Thanks for the info. So you should put a Nest in every room so it can sense where people are throughout the house and do it's thing?

No.
It is one thing (of several) that I don't like about the nest.
My thermostat is in a hallway that I may not walk in all day (goes to kids room, bathroom and garage). I have wondered what it would do in my case (or if I could turn that feature off).
That is why I like the geo-fence, if my phone is here, I am here, if it is gone, I am gone.

"That is why I like the geo-fence, if my phone is here, I am here, if it is gone, I am gone."

What if you are gone and others are still home? Your unit shuts off?

Folks each of us has different needs/likes whatever. Geezz

I have a Nest and am very happy with it. I got a rebate from the power company even a year after I bought the Nest. I save money if I participate in the energy company/Nest conservation program when it is activated in extreme energy demand days (can stop daily). I like being able to adjust the temp when in bed etc.

We have an emerson Sensi wifi unit.

It has been very good for two years.

Nice to have something that alerts you if temps get too high in the house (AC quits, etc).

I don't mess with geo-fencing, we run on a regular schedule and it was worked very well.

Nice to be able to change the temp from the office, or anywhere in the world. Also monitor

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
"That is why I like the geo-fence, if my phone is here, I am here, if it is gone, I am gone."

What if you are gone and others are still home? Your unit shuts off?

Folks each of us has different needs/likes whatever. Geezz

I have a Nest and am very happy with it. I got a rebate from the power company even a year after I bought the Nest. I save money if I participate in the energy company/Nest conservation program when it is activated in extreme energy demand days (can stop daily). I like being able to adjust the temp when in bed etc.

Each phone has the app, if any of them are within the geo-fence, the A/C stays on normal.
The distance can be set per device as well (I am 3 miles from work, so mine is set to a 1.5 mile radius, wife's is set to 5 miles).

Never have any rebates from power companies around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back