US Navy Destroying Destroyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accidents happen at sea in congested shipping channels. I'm sure mistakes were made.

I'm more upset about the loss of fellow sailors than the damage to the ship or the money to fix it.

There are times when cargo ships and oil tankers get a little too close. The USN usually follows the rules of the sea, and if a cargo ship or tanker doesn't, accidents can happen. That could very well be the case here. More info is needed before I jump to any conclusions. Prayers sent to those lost or injured in this accident.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Really sad to hear another collision and sailors killed. As a US tax payer this abhorrent.

As an American, you should be more concerned about dead sailors....

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Really sad to hear another collision and sailors killed. As a US tax payer this abhorrent.

As an American, you should be more concerned about dead sailors....

Amen!
thumbsup2.gif

Happened in the Straits of Malacca, perhaps the busiest transit on the planet. No news yet on how it happened but the damage to the destroyer is port side aft. Ten sailors missing. Five sailors missing and medevaced to Singapore by helo.

Whenever we transited busy areas or harbors, they set the Special Sea Detail withNav Stations. This doubled the lookouts, put two officers on the bridge and perhaps the Captain, experienced helmsman and top notch quartermaster at the plot as well as full staff in Combat. I haven't heard whether this was done or not but this area is where most of the shipping in and out of Singapore transits. Literally, hundreds of ships daily. The investigation will uncover what went wrong. To have two accidents like this in recent times may prompt the Navy to review procedures and even stand down. There have been 4 incidents this year, another was a collision with a fishing boat and another navy ship ran aground.

I wonder if turnover has cost the Navy and the rest if the military valuable experienced personnel? That would force newer untrained people into positions before they are ready.

The loss of life in these non-combat situations is just terrible...I mean, people getting killed at any point is bad, of course, but we know it's a risk during military operations. To lose sailors when they're just steaming around...

Is the ANY hint that people on the merchant ships who are hostile to the US are contributing to these events? Makes me think of all the terrorism using passenger cars and trucks lately...I'm sure somebody who wants to harm US interests could change course ever so slightly to make a collision a lot more likely.

Quote by PimTac:
"I wonder if turnover has cost the Navy and the rest if the military valuable experienced personnel? That would force newer untrained people into positions before they are ready." [/quote]

That would be my guess...I agree regarding the sailors....we can fix damaged ships but we can't replace lost lives...

Typical day were this took place. Initial reports are the Destroyer had the right of way and was hit by a tanker

I hate to see my sailors lost. Breaks my heart.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Accidents happen at sea in congested shipping channels. I'm sure mistakes were made.

I'm more upset about the loss of fellow sailors than the damage to the ship or the money to fix it.

I agree that the loss of life the greatest concern; however, I would argue collisions at sea are avoidable and the USN ships are smaller, more manueverable and have the very latest and most expensive navigation equipment to avoid collision.

Its time for Vice Admiral Aucoin to be retired...as a starting point.

These collisions may not be completely accidental. Just sayin'. No evidence.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
These collisions may not be completely accidental. Just sayin'. No evidence.

I think its more likely that big ego's and poor choices are involved ... My parents have been on a cruise where two ships were leaving port at the same time, and there was nearly a stupid collision as the ships honked and flashed lights at each other for a while instead of one of them reducing speed a bit, or waiting 2 minutes...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Typical day were this took place. Initial reports are the Destroyer had the right of way and was hit by a tanker

I hate to see my sailors lost. Breaks my heart.

No ships under way. Obviously an anchorage and not a high traffic area.

Quote "The collision marks the fourth time this year a Navy vessel with the 7th Fleet has been involved in a major mishap, an embarrassing string that has prompted the service to remove several senior officers from command."

That is pretty unacceptable.

My sincere condolences to the families of the dead sailors!

Ls1Mike,

can you re-post the post in the other thread about the busy submarine landing?
Just to give an idea about a similar situation where not everything is under your control....?

I'm not a Navy man, or a sailor of any kind, but is it really that difficult to see/be positionally aware of/avoid colliding with other ships?

That Destroyer has the ability to see and fight (or AVOID) any ship within 200 miles. "High Traffic"?...these guys are often part of a carrier battle group and sail continuously in close proximity with 8 to 12 vessels.

For this collision to happen 12 or more sailors have to have failed in their assigned duty on that watch.

Last edited:
Navy not having a good year...

Second Navy ship collision in two months...
Nine older FA/18 Hornets crashed...
VR/22 Osprey crashed...
KC/130 crashed....
Five littoral combat ships broken down...
F/5 crashed...

Navy is not having a good year...

FA/18's are having major problems, they were supposed to be retired at 6,000 hours, but Navy has pushed that to 9,000, and several 6K+ fighters have been removed from the boneyard and returned to active service....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
My sincere condolences to the families of the dead sailors!

Ls1Mike,

can you re-post the post in the other thread about the busy submarine landing?
Just to give an idea about a similar situation where not everything is under your control....?

It won't make a difference to be honest. Everyone thinks they know how it works in open ocean or tight shipping lanes.

Language barriers when talking to other ships, equipment malfunctions. Sometimes even with Radar it is hard to tell what another vessel is doing. I don't want to get this thread locked so I will leave it alone this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back