Looking for input on my next OCI fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone.

My car is coming up on 7,500 miles on the current fill of MaxLife 5w30 with about 0.7 qt of Valvoline NextGen MaxLife 5w20, with a Bosch D+ 3422 filter.

I expect to be doing an oil change next weekend, and have bought some Lubegard Biotech 'blue' oil additive after reading multiple threads on it, both here and elsewhere, singing its praises. I bought a 15-oz bottle from Amazon, so that gets me about 1/2 qt of my fill, but I'm debating exactly what to add it to when I fill.. I've been mulling over a few options.

For starters, the engine takes roughly 5.7 quarts, so I know that, in addition to the Lubegard, I'll be using about 5.2 quarts of some of the oil in my stash. My goals here are to try to use some of the older oil in my stash, use up at least one of my existing "partly-used" containers of oil, and of course, use the LubeGard. I'm also aiming for a slightly heavier overall oil weight than 5w20, since it's still pretty hot here in Phoenix for the next 5-7 weeks.

I'm torn between the four options below:

1) 5-quart jug of Valvoline MaxLife 5w30, which is the oldest oil in my stash, plus the small amount of Valvoline NextGen MaxLife 5w20 oil left in a quart jug from my last fill, plus the LubeGard BioTech blue.

2) 5 quarts of Havoline Conventional 5w20 with DepositShield, plus about 1/3 quart of leftover Mobil-1 Racing 4T synthetic motorcycle oil (SH rating), plus the Lubegard. I know, it's SH rated, which is an older rating, but it's only about .25 quarts out of the whole 5.7 quarts, and it IS synthetic base stock.. so it shouldn't create any issues.

3) 5-quart jug of Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30, plus the leftover Valvoline NextGen MaxLife 5w20, plus the Lubegard.

4) 4-quart jug of Shell Rotella T-4 10w30 (CJ-4/SM rated), plus 1 quart PUP 5w20, plus about 1/4 quart of MMO, plus the LubeGard. Should provide amazing cleaning ability, although I don't really know if clean-up is needed. Downside is that the Rotella T-4 is the newest oil in my stash.. just sort of thinking about this overall mix as an 'experiment'..

... I should also add that, whichever mix I end up going with, I plan to hold back about 2oz of the mixture to send in for a VOA, and then compare this with the UOA of the same mix after ~7,500 - ~10,000 miles of use, depending on what I use.

So what does everyone think?

You have lots of good oil choices, no problem there. When it comes to actual wear, getting wear metals
out will improve oil service life and appearance since no oil filter can get normal wear particles that
are well under 20 microns where oil filters are performance spec’d.

Check out the PDF below and the pics in it. I’ve done this now for 3 years with clean oil visible for
more then 6 months after an oil change!

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

Wear metals in this engine are generally pretty low, so I'm not terribly concerned about that, especially since I generally use quality filters with synthetic or semi-synthetic media.

Keep in mind that Fram Ultra, for example, while the rating specifies "99%+ filtering @ 20micron, doesn't just cut off at 20%.. it still filters smaller particles at reasonable efficiency..

Sir,
Other than mileage, we seem to have pretty similar results on our Fusions so far (I am now just below 109k). Based on the results of my recent UOA of PPE 0W-40 in my 06 Odyssey, I think I am going to try the PPE 5W-30 with a MicroGreen filter. I have used PP or PUP exclusively since about 19k miles in my vehicle, and every single UOA has generated almost exactly 1PPM iron per 1k miles, with all other wear metals at or below the universal averages for around 6.4k, while all of my OCIs have been well over 9K (last one was over 14k). The PPE 0W-40 had a TBN of 6.0 at 7.6k (and is still in the engine) in an engine known to typically use up just about every oil by 7.5k, so if the 5W-30 is similar it should be a [censored] stout oil.

I will have another UOA of the PUP 0W-20 in a month or two; I'm at 12.9k and want to make it to at least 15k or so before the drain. I also have 15oz of BioTech to dump in the next fill, and it is going in with the fresh oil so I get as close to an honest assessment as possible. For $22.97 at Walmart, I think the Pennz Plat Euros will be tough to beat for well-wearing, long lasting engines like our 2.5s.

triple digit heat all summer, 20-50 is my choice for the summer
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back