Thank- You for letting me join!! 2008 Zo6 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Z06 and I am getting tired of the sewing machine noise this thing makes. Im thinking about going with rotella 5w40. Been using M1 5w30. Thanks!!

Oddly, some of the cheapest synthetics around have superior specs they meet.
Take Castrol Edge 0w40 in the 5-quart jugs at Walmart. Sells for about $5 per quart there, yet no other gasoline engine motor oil meets tougher specs.
I'd use that in a Corvette. Holds up.

I can't think of a better candidate for the Redline 10W-60 than this.
grin.gif

Thanks. Looking at the castrol 0w40. Im not looking for it to completely quiet this engine I just want a improvement in that and protection.

There's quite a few folks here who have said Castrol Magnatec quiet their engines when they run that oil. I can't personally attest. But Magnatec is one of the more affordable jugs if you're a cheapskate.

The LS-7 has a notoriously noisy valvetrain, partially due to the aggressive cam profile and 1.8 ratio rocker arms. However there may be something else at work here. Your 2008 Z06 falls into the age range of ones with bad valve guides, one of the symptoms of a failing valve guide is excessive valvetrain noise. The end state of this is a dropped valve and grenaded engine.

I had a 2008 Z06 as well and had miles inspected for excessive guide wear at the dealership. All checked out ok. I'd recommend you get it checked out as I've had several friends loose this vintage engine in the 40-55k mi area due to dropped valves.

In my Z06 I had the lowest wear metals in my UOA using Edge 5w30 compared to M1 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Isn't Chevy recommending 15w40 for track days on vettes. Maybe Mobil 1 15w40.

15W-50. No reason at all to run it on the street. I'd run Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40.

.. or any of the 0w40 oils out there. They are all well-engineered. IndyCars (Castroneves) use Pennzoil Ultra SRT 0w40 straight (Dodge dealers, eBay, Amazon), but Pennzoil's Walmart Euro 0w40 is also similar. M1 0w40 of course great too. A little thicker wich may quiet the valvetrain a bit, but not too thick at all. Very stout formula.
Meets tough euro specs like MB 229.5, Porsche A40, grueling tests they put them through.

I'd run a "euro" 0W-40 or 5W-40 without hesitation. Look for BMW LL-01, Mercedes 229.5, and Porsche A40. Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil (except for LL-01), and Motul all have good options.

I went from Mobil 1 5w-30 to M1 0w-40 in my LS1 2 years ago. Can't say it runs any quieter...but it sure isn't any noiser. No real difference other than 2-3 psi higher oil pressure. I'll take the stouter add package and increase in HTHS from 3.1 to 3.5-3.7.

Liqui-moly any good? I have 2 customers that really like it.1 Audi and 1 VW . I can get a good deal on it my shop buys 80% of its parts from napa.

Originally Posted By: 08z06
Liqui-moly any good? I have 2 customers that really like it.1 Audi and 1 VW . I can get a good deal on it my shop buys 80% of its parts from napa.

Your customers "like it" because it is German. No other reason. It's a so-so oil. Not bad, but not great either.

Run a "thick" high film strength oil and good additive package. A 5/10-40 oil should suffice. Royal purple, Motul, Redline, Pennzoil Platinum. Rotella doesnt have a high film strength and i am not sure if that has anything to to do with it being a diesel/low rpm engine oil.

Originally Posted By: subzerospeed
Run a "thick" high film strength oil and good additive package. A 5/10-40 oil should suffice. Royal purple, Motul, Redline, Pennzoil Platinum. Rotella doesnt have a high film strength and i am not sure if that has anything to to do with it being a diesel/low rpm engine oil.

Where are you getting these film strength numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back