valvoline maxlife back at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
up here in quebec canada they now have the latest maxlife atf with the new specs.they had cleared out the
old maxlife atf and went with castrol but they now have the new spec stuff.

Nice! They have/had it on shelves in Quebec? I had to order it from walmart.ca here in Ontario. As Farmer said, the stuff I got was not advertised as a full synthetic but mentioned synthetic base stocks or something vague like that. I was a little disappointed that I was going to have to switch to castrol multi vehicle but now I can sleep well at night dreaming about that FS maxlife atf.
thumbsup2.gif

only saw the old stuff maybe a year ago then it went away and was replaced with castrol.went to the walmart in saint jerome
quebec (near mirabel) and was surprised to see it so i bought a jug.it even has the latest kia/hyundai spec unlike the old
stuff.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
It's Full Syn now, the old stuff used to be a blend that we got here in Canada for some odd reason.

Hmmm! Here in the States, (as far as I know), the MaxLife "OIL"(Red jug) is & has been a syn blend however, the MaxLife "ATF"(Red jug) has always been a full synthetic ATF.

Last edited:
ML been available through Walmart.com ~3 business day delivery ~$17.90/gal in store pick up since not long after it was removed from shelves. I did notice today one area WM had it in stock, but that's currently out of the norm.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
ML been available through Walmart.com ~3 business day delivery ~$17.90/gal in store pick up since not long after it was removed from shelves. I did notice today one area WM had it in stock, but that's currently out of the norm.

The local " Marts " were out of stock . When it became avalable on their website , I ordered 2 jugs , shipped to the local store .

This was several months ago .

Bought it to do a spill & fill for our 1991 Caprice 5.0 l .

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Nice to see it's back.

Has anyone used this in a Mercon V application? More specifically a 4R70?

It is in my '02 F150 right now (for about 20,000 miles).

I have done 3 drain and fills on it (I installed a drain plug on the transmission pan) using Maxlife ATF.
First time (when I installed the drain plug and changed the filter) I used Supertech Merc V.
I had 167,000 miles on the transmission (never serviced) and was having a little "thud" sometimes between 3 and OD.
After the pan drop and filter change with ~5 qts of ST Merc V, it was almost completely gone.
About 500 miles later, I did a drain and fill using the Maxlife (4 qts) and the thud was completely gone.
I have done 2 more drains (1000 miles later, then 10,000 miles) and no issues with the transmission at all.
I am actually about due for another drain and fill (I am doing it every 10,000 miles now) and have some Maxlife ATF in the garage for that.

Originally Posted By: Lasthope05
DW-1 is not listed on the new label he posted. Where are you getting this from?

EDIT:
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

So it is spec'ed for DW-1 but they didnt put it on the new labels.

Yup. Same thing for the Mercon V.
I contacted Valvoline about it a few years ago (the Merc V being left off) and was basically told they ran out of room for all the applications, so not all are on there, but if it is on their spec sheet, then it is good.

here is a copy of my e-mails with them:

Quote:
The following Incident has been logged with Valvoline Product Support. Please review the information provided, should you need further information or wish to update an open incident, please REPLY to this e-mail or call 1-800-TEAM-VAL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I own a 2002 F150 with a 4R70W automatic transmission. It requires Mercon V fluid.
I was looking at your Maxlife ATF and it no longer says on the bottle suitable for Mercon V applications, only Mercon LV. I know many places (including Ford) say that Mercon LV and Mercon V are not compatible fluids.
Your website also says that Maxlife ATF will work with Mercon V, but the fact that it is not on the bottle concerns me.

Is it safe to use Maxlife ATF in a vehicle that requires Mercon V?

Thank you for contacting Valvoline for your automatic transmission fluid application.

For your 2002 Ford application, we recommend the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF product to meet the Mercon V specifications recommended by your manufacturer. This product is 100% compatible for mixture or replacement in your vehicle and will not void any new car warranties. We have attached the Product Information Sheet for the Maxlife ATF.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline Product Support and have a great day.

Mike

Valvoline Product Support

And a follow up:
Quote:

OK, so even thought the bottle does not say Mercon V on it, Maxlife ATF does meet the spec for it? Why not just put it on the bottle then?

The current Ford spec is Mercon LV. That came to be in 2009. That is what is on the bottle because it is the current rating. We sent the Product Information Sheet to show that Maxlife has the additive package necessary to cover all the Mercon applications including Mercon V. There are labeling issues in various states that preclude us from putting every application on every label. We could not get all the Maxlife applications on the bottle because there is not enough room on it.

We appreciate you using our products and apologize that we could not include the Mercon V on the label.

Mike
Valvoline Product Support

The linked spec sheet 'pdf' is dated 12/20/2016 and is the most recent/updated information. No telling how old the bottle specs label is. I take the pdf to be the most recent information. DW1 'suitability' has been discussed here before. I'm confident the current ML is DW1 suitable.

Obviously the jugs/bottle spec sheet not current, all inclusive currently.

If in doubt or have a question email or call Valvoline using number on the pdf. As noted previously, they generally have been responsive to inquires.

Yes the current sheet dates to 1/12 of this year, the attached letter by Tom Smith VP with specs is dated 12/20/16. As noted pdf is fairly recent. At some point they may update the jug/bottle label to include some of the suitability specs currently not listed. However I'd take the current spec sheet pdf to be authoritative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back