2006 Civic Tow Package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to occasionally tow a motorcycle with my 2006 AT Coupe.

Any instructions for a good/cheap tow or a package which I can install on it?

Thanks for all of your advice and help
thumbsup2.gif

Guessing around 1,000lb once the trailer is added in?

Not sure there is much you can do, outside of hitch and harness. I doubt you need helper bags, brake controller, or trans cooler.

If you're going to tow more than occasionally, I think a trans cooler would be a big help. If anything, it will lessen load on the car's main cooling circuit when you're towing and hot.

Will hills be a problem? How far would you tow it and how often?

I had to load up with 2 small women and a baby in a car seat during an emergency once and my Civic was a DOG going up even small hills. The brakes seemed fine.

So, the above is with 270-280# extra in the car. You're asking about 500# + trailer, right?

Last edited:
You don't need an F150 to tow 800 pounds. Buy this lightweight motorcycle trailer off Northern Tool:

If you buy one of those cheap Harbor Freight folding trailers, buy a motorcycle wheel chock.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between the ability to do something and the ability to do something safely. I would not feel safe doing what the OP is wanting to do. Even if you drive safer and more slowly to compensate, there are variables that occur every day for which your risk increases.

How many times have you been cut off, had someone pull out in front of you or simply had traffic lock it up in front of you without warning and with no lane to change into? How many times has this occurred to you and an accident only barely been avoided. Add 5-800# and new geometry (both the trailer length and pivot point loads during low traction situations, not to mention the affect on your suspension) and the risk seems too great for anyone to seriously consider doing this over buying an appropriate vehicle or renting a truck for less frequent needs.

That should be easy to tow. No need for trans cooler. Dad used to pull a 1500lb trailer with a 71 hp car with no issues all over the country. No engine or trans issues. Car was scrapped due to rust at age 16.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I had to load up with 2 small women and a baby in a car seat during an emergency once and my Civic was a DOG going up even small hills. The brakes seemed fine.

So, the above is with 270-280# extra in the car. You're asking about 500# + trailer, right?

I'll be towing very rarely, say 2-3 times a year on interstates, that's it.

No hills or anything.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You don't need an F150 to tow 800 pounds. Buy this lightweight motorcycle trailer off Northern Tool:

If you buy one of those cheap Harbor Freight folding trailers, buy a motorcycle wheel chock.

Do you have any idea how much does it cost? I was planning to rent from UHaul and that's it.

Tow Capacity for the 06 Civic is apparently 1500 Kg [3306 lbs]*

That is the complete, all inclusive, load capacity ... passengers, fuel, cargo, trailer, and whatever is on the trailer.

If it's an Automatic Transmission, leave it in Drive. DO NOT haul that load in an overdrive gear. Ever.

"Good, Cheap tow packages" don't really exist. You want a proper trailer lighting harness installed on the towing vehicle.

Check with your local regulations (and every State/Province/Country you plan to travel through) as to how heavy a trailer must be before it requires trailer brakes. That's the trailer weight itself and whatever is on the trailer.

If you need them, you will need the proper interface installed on the vehicle. Finally there is proper installation of the hitch in the correct Class on the vehicle. Because the Civic is not a body-on-frame construction vehicle, installation might be more involved than otherwise, but it's certainly doable.

Finally, if you want answers, please provide complete relevant information. Vehicle make, model year, and in this case, engine and transmission (manual or automatic) all matter. Plus, there are a lot of motorcycles that are under 500 pounds, but there are a lot that are not. 800 pounds for the bike alone is certainly possible and remember, if you stuff things in saddle bags, they count as cargo weight. So, what motorcycle?

* Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC VXi Automatic

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I was planning to rent from UHaul and that's it.

Better call them first, then. They will refuse to rent if their computer doesn't think your vehicle rates. It's been a while, but they de-rated my Dakota by 2,000 lbs. Their computer ratings were ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I'll be towing very rarely, say 2-3 times a year on interstates, that's it.

No hills or anything.

Rent a truck.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Tow Capacity for the 06 Civic is apparently 1500 Kg [3306 lbs]*

That is the complete, all inclusive, load capacity ... passengers, fuel, cargo, trailer, and whatever is on the trailer.

If it's an Automatic Transmission, leave it in Drive. DO NOT haul that load in an overdrive gear. Ever.

"Good, Cheap tow packages" don't really exist. You want a proper trailer lighting harness installed on the towing vehicle.

Check with your local regulations (and every State/Province/Country you plan to travel through) as to how heavy a trailer must be before it requires trailer brakes. That's the trailer weight itself and whatever is on the trailer.

If you need them, you will need the proper interface installed on the vehicle. Finally there is proper installation of the hitch in the correct Class on the vehicle. Because the Civic is not a body-on-frame construction vehicle, installation might be more involved than otherwise, but it's certainly doable.

Finally, if you want answers, please provide complete relevant information. Vehicle make, model year, and in this case, engine and transmission (manual or automatic) all matter. Plus, there are a lot of motorcycles that are under 500 pounds, but there are a lot that are not. 800 pounds for the bike alone is certainly possible and remember, if you stuff things in saddle bags, they count as cargo weight. So, what motorcycle?

* Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC VXi Automatic

2006 + auto = R18 only (1.8L engine, 5-speed AT.) Drive is 5th gear, 3rd is 3rd gear. There are no OD/non-OD options with this transmission.

Disclaimer: Just some of my experiences. No, not recommended or politically correct. Sometimes I take it to the limit so I don't recommend you do this.

In the 1980s I had a trailer hitch welded on my Madza RX7. They didn't make a hitch or recommended one for that tiny car. I towed two road race bikes to tracks all over the country and also into Monterey Mexico for years and many thousands of miles. Never even put a clutch into it, never a problem.

Put a 1000 pound hitch on a 1999 Nissan Sentra 1.6 liter(110 HP) tiny puddle jumper. Towed utility trailers all over the place and also my 18 ft. sailboat. Sure it was underpowered. I just took my time, don't let anyone rush me and never had any problems.

Now have a hitch on my wifes 2014 Hyundai Elantra with a 1000 pound Curt hitch. Tows my 18 ft sailboat and utility trailer and motorcycles. No sweat.

As warned, don't do this!
Buy a massive Ford F350 to make sure you have enough towing capacity

Apparently, the US version of the Civic lists a maximum trailer weight of 450 kg [992 lbs] in the Owners' Manual, under "Towing". You are going to have a difficult time getting a trailer and bike within that weight limit. Not that it's impossible, but you will have to be careful.

That is in contrast to the total weight limit indicated in my earlier post (both are valid, just referring to different things).

Do you have the Owner's Manual? Did you look in there? That's where the above comes from.

If you don't have the manual, get one. There is no reason why anyone should be answering questions here when you can just pick up the manual and read.

I do have the manual and I asked about a good tow package and all.

Yes, my car is an automatic R18 and it's a 2006 Civic EX Coupe.

Bike, I am planning to tow will be an Yamaha R1 and not a cruiser or a large bike. Worst case, I can just rent a truck.

I am planning to occasionally tow a motorcycle with my 2006 AT Coupe.

Any instructions for a good/cheap tow or a package which I can install on it?

Thanks for all of your advice and help
thumbsup2.gif

Your Civic will tow an R1 no problem. Nice bike by the way!

Here is the trailer I have owned for about 8 years. You have to bolt it together, comes in a box. $300
https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html

here is the Curt hitch for your car with the Euro ball, will fit your car perfect. $155 with wiring kit. You can watch videos of how to install it or get it professionally installed as I did by a place that specializes in hitches and accessories.
http://www.autoanything.com/towing/73A38...RhoC73AQAvD_BwE

You will also need a Motorcycle Wheel Chock
https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-97145.html

A friend used mine to take a Ducati from Texas to Florida and back. I have towed my Ninja 1000 many times with this setup.

Installation instructions: says it should take 30 minutes:
http://b.cdnbrm.com/images/info/curt/11391.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back