Jerry Lewis RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love him or hate him, he was definitely an iconic figure of the 20th century and his telethon raised money to help countless others. His "typewriter" routine will always be a favorite. RIP Jerry Lewis.

RIP Jerry Lewis.

I loved his old movies as a kid growing up in the 60s. Back then no one, NO ONE, made me laugh harder than Jerry Lewis. He influenced a lot of future comedians. He had his critics too but he was an comic giant.

I understand their nightclub act was even much funnier than their movies. This is a sample from a Martin-Lewis movie for those of you who want a laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qXwTmqvTI

Grew up watching Jerry Lewis. The funniest person in Hollywood or anywhere for that matter. The yearly telethon which was a huge deal way back when made a ton of money for the MDA. If you have a boring evening sometime, rent and play The Disorderly Orderly. Funny as all get out and no curse words.

RIP Jerry.

There was a cool TV-movie about Jerry Lewis (2002) and Dean Martin. Jerry Lewis was played by Sean Hayes (of "Will and Grace").
MV5BZGIwNjMzOWEtOGU1OS00NDkwLWI2YTYtZGI3NWU0YTQwN2Q0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjg0Mjg1MDM@._V1_.jpg

Carol Burnett had a weird, great story of the amazing Jerry Lewis: When he was rehearsing for a guest gig on Burnett's variety TV show (I think late 1970's), Jerry Lewis met each dancer/actor on Burnett's staff he was rehearsing with, and he verbally asked and recieved each of their Social Security numbers. Then, in the days after, when rehearsing with them, he called each one by their numbers, not their name! As in, he'd say "Come over here 459-91-4301". Very strange and funny thing to do to demonstrate number memory skills.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Do you know that is true? No offense meant. That story (and its circumstances) are just too clumsy to be believed.

I heard Carol Burnett say it on CNN today. I don't think she would lie. No way. Her credibility is good. Odd story, I know, but Carol is solid. She sounds great in her old age.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Carol Burnett had a weird, great story of the amazing Jerry Lewis: When he was rehearsing for a guest gig on Burnett's variety TV show (I think late 1970's), Jerry Lewis met each dancer/actor on Burnett's staff he was rehearsing with, and he verbally asked and recieved each of their Social Security numbers. Then, in the days after, when rehearsing with them, he called each one by their numbers, not their name! As in, he'd say "Come over here 459-91-4301". Very strange and funny thing to do to demonstrate number memory skills.

Hard to say whether it's true or not, but as a cop once said to me: "too bizarre not to be true".

Incidentally doing the same thing in Canada (asking for a Social Insurance Number) is a crime, if you're not one of the authorized users (bank if you have an account that pays interest, employer, income tax agency, securities trading broker). It's also legal to ask on a loan application, but you are not obliged to provide it, and refusing to provide it can't prejudice your application. I've never provided it to a Credit Card issuer, Mortgage lender, etc.

The Government of Canada even recommends that you never carry your SIN card with you, instead keeping it in a safe place, or destroying it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Love him or hate him, he was definitely an iconic figure of the 20th century and his telethon raised money to help countless others. His "typewriter" routine will always be a favorite. RIP Jerry Lewis.

What? Who from that time period doesn't love Jerry Lewis? Comedians today pale in comparison to his skills. To say that he was totally at ease at letting go of his pride to make people laugh, is an understatement. What a great entertainer. And a great person too. He definitely wouldn't have fit the cast of today's entertainment industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back