Best Auto Store Brand of Brake Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to like most things from AAP, but how about Autozone and O'Reilly? Who makes the best pads for the money? These would be for my 2014 Explorer.

Motorcraft. OEM brake parts are almost always better than aftermarket and with Amazon/Rockauto price competitive too.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've had good luck with AAP Platinum pads.

Agree. Best store pads I have ever used. Low noise, low dust, nice feel.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've had good luck with AAP Platinum pads.

Agree. Best store pads I have ever used. Low noise, low dust, nice feel.

For sure. My front pads are going on 50k miles; firm pedal, no noise, no fuss, no drama.

When I was a store manager for AAP, the Platinums had the highest return rate due to noise. I assume most people have no idea how to bed in pads, and I also assume re-bedding them would have fixed it.

I typically install Duralast Golds in my shop. Although, for the most part every parts store carries the same pads in a different box, all made by Federal Mogul.

Napa's Adaptive One pads look good, or maybe Autozone's Duralast GT pads. There's no O'Reilly near me, so I can't say anything about them. But the store brands' premium pads should be as good as any name-brand pad. Absolutely stay AWAY from the cheap store brand lines, like Autozone's Valucraft.

But why use store brands when you have no idea who makes them or anything? But if you have to use them, get the premium pads. Duralast Gold or GT, AAP Platinum, Napa Adaptive One.

Get name brand pads.
Wagner Thermoquiet or OEX or Akebono ProACT

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
If your interested in the AAP Platinum pads, online code WDE357 will get you 35% off through 8/23.
Sayjac - thanks for this!

For low end applications (beater cars, etc) I've only had good results in the last ten years with any store brand pad.

I agree with mclasser and bubbatime. I have AAP Platinum rotors and pads in the rear of my Altima and they have been very good. I have Duralast GT brake pads on the front and they have been very good so far. Good initial bite and very smooth when slowing down from high speed.

Last edited:
I've gotten 31,000 miles on AAP Wearever Silver pads (house brand low level semi metallics) and 50,000 on Wearever Gold pads (mid level ceramics).

I have Wearever rotors on my Jeep now with 81,000 miles on them. I just checked them a few days ago and they're still going strong.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
If your interested in the AAP Platinum pads, online code WDE357 will get you 35% off through 8/23.
Sayjac - thanks for this!
Scored both sets of platinum pads for $75.98 total out the door. Thanks again!

I got some Carquest Gold pads for my brother in laws '04 F150. They have been good pads so far (~8000 miles on them).
Minimal dusting, good braking feel, but no idea on how long they will last.
They have a lot less dusting that the Wagner Thermoquiet on my F150. Not crazy about that, but they stop well.

I am debating the Platinum from Advance for my Scion, as well as Akebono pads.

Post up how the Platinum's do.

Put a set of the Platinum pads on the front of a 2008 Honda Civic the other week. They come with break in burnishing strips on the pad surface. Came with all new hardware and a pack of grease. Working just fine for now.

never really mattered to me. I normally put the cheapest house brand i can get depending on the owner's budget. Most of the time, i'm on the "i need it done today" so its AAP Gold or silver.

They all work once bedded in correctly.

I just put on a set of Wagner Thermoquiet premium ceramic pads on a 245. Too soon to tell if I like them or not. They are apparently normally expensive pads. Not much squeal yet.

Changed all the pads and front rotors today with AAP platinum ceramics up front along with platinum rotors and platinum semi-metallics in the rear. Borrowed a rear caliper tool from Autozone which made the job simple.

Took about 3.5 hours and was Less than $185 with a 35% off coupon and a $30 rebate. Very happy with the results. Have to have the brake fluid R&R, and will be good for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back