McLaren F1 sells for almost $16 million (1 of 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The original owner of the very first 1995 McLaren F1 in the United States has parted with his incredible supercar for $15.62 million at Bonhams auction on Friday. That is the most anyone has ever paid for a McLaren with the previous record belonging to a 1998 F1 LM-Specification that sold for $13.75 million in Monterey in 2015.

The one that just sold is Chassis 044 and it’s one of seven F1s that have been converted and federalized for legal street use in the US. The conversion bits have since been removed, but they were included in the auction.

https://news.google.com/news/story/dKVV5vxH-vNn9TMOzwf_pssh9I4vM?hl=en&ned=us (aggregate of news stories about this auction event)

So much for the million dollar car of my dreams. It's $16 million now!

So this car would have been a wise buy when new?
Who'd have thought it?
These are extraordinary cars that are surprisingly light in weight and multi-talented, not just big heavy cars with impressive top speed.
I'll never drive one just as I'll never drive the one-dimensional Veyron, but it is nice to know that such cars exist and can be bought for a sum equaling the price of a pretty nice bizjet of more recent vintage or a killer sailing yacht.
Of course the boat or the plane would require crew and would be rather more expensive to own and use than the car.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So this car would have been a wise buy when new?
Who'd have thought it?
These are extraordinary cars that are surprisingly light in weight and multi-talented, not just big heavy cars with impressive top speed.
I'll never drive one just as I'll never drive the one-dimensional Veyron, but it is nice to know that such cars exist and can be bought for a sum equaling the price of a pretty nice bizjet of more recent vintage or a killer sailing yacht.
Of course the boat or the plane would require crew and would be rather more expensive to own and use than the car.

To have acquired the very first one, I am assuming that the individual was already super rich.

See what happens when Gordon Murray is left alone to design a street car mostly by himself. You get a simple straight forward no nonsense super car that stands the test of time and fashion.

Maybe not super rich, but certainly very comfortable.
There are a lot of folks who can scrape a million dollars together. It wasn't a huge amount for a non-extravagant two decent earner family in 1995 and is even less these days.
16X that is a whole different deal.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Maybe not super rich, but certainly very comfortable.
There are a lot of folks who can scrape a million dollars together. It wasn't a huge amount for a non-extravagant two decent earner family in 1995 and is even less these days.
16X that is a whole different deal.

One does not get to own the first of any super car by putting the money together alone.

Many years ago, my boss and I picked up his newly federalized silver Mclaren F1 AND and a brand new red Ferrari Enzo from Shelton Ferrari in FT Lauderdale. Was a rather interesting day, and a long story. My boss had ordered the F1 and waited quite a while for it to be converted to American specs. The day finally came, and as luck would have it, the Enzo arrived the same week. So, we decided to make a day of it, flying in via helicopter, driving a turbo Mercedes to the dealership and paying them a fortune! As luck would have it, Jimmy Page was there, he introduced himself to me, as he noticed the turbo Mercedes we drove up in, said he had the exact same car, and I pretended not to acknowledge who he was. We talked for about 30-40 minutes about cars and other things as my boss did the paperwork. Very, very intelligent man, rather articulate, neat and well dressed. Quite unlike the stage persona.

Time came to drive home to West Palm Beach. Boss gets into the F1, goes right (North) on US1, and takes off. I can't figure out how to get the Enzo into reverse. (hint, it's a button on the steering wheel, something I did not know) I had to back out of the parking lot, and back into the street, as the parking lot was small and did not have a way for me to turn around. Page walked out into the street, blocked all 3 lanes of Northbound traffic and marshaled me out on to US1. What fun!

We rallied all the way home. Yes, the F1 is faster than the Enzo, and a whole lot more responsive. I've driven them both, I prefer the F1, due to it's raw nature and instant response.

XSxkG5u.jpg

c7cYVIH.jpg

3kvZbCQ.jpg

SYdyHIO.jpg

u7bQ683.jpg

ZY41IyV.jpg

ZY41IyV

A pic to prove it's me behind the wheel of the Enzo, that's me in Africa, 4th from the right.

It would be interesting if this recent sale was the very same car my boss purchased! Also, I swear it was not me who hit 148.7 MPH on interstate 95. That must have happened before we took delivery...

Last edited:
Nice post Cujet.. I don't think you have anything to prove to this community! We know you're good people
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back