PEA fuel product in crankcase

I've never seen a real engineering (unbiased, proper) test done to prove it.
One might make an educated guess and think the PEA gets on the cylinder walls; gets hit by hot combustion; flashes off the cyl walls; is exposed to the carbon/gook on the ringpack; cleans anything it touches with gasoline combustion.
Specifically, this Gumout product has PEA and says you CAN use it in the sump's oil.
Multi-System-Tune-Up1.png

Recommend only using a product if and only if it says you can on the label. Gasoline additives in gasoline only please, just in case there is a potential chemistry problem in oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I've never seen a real engineering (unbiased, proper) test done to prove it.
One might make an educated guess and think the PEA gets on the cylinder walls; gets hit by hot combustion; flashes off the cyl walls; is exposed to the carbon/gook on the ringpack; cleans anything it touches with gasoline combustion.

99 times out of 100 I trust your educated guess...however, this would be the 1 time I want a second opinion.

EDIT:
Dang, the image did not load until I had typed this.
Good guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
99 times out of 100 I trust your educated guess...however, this would be the 1 time I want a second opinion.
I modified my answer slightly. I realized the PEA products the OP referred to were gasoline-only additives. Gumout does make a PEA for gas AND oil. Maybe, just maybe, it would do something good. I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
I heard for PEA to work, it needs to combust with gasoline. Since Gumout PEA Multi in oil does flash off the cylinder walls, it does end up combining with gasoline combustion. ... No engineering studies. I don't really know for sure.

PEA can in part survive combustion to do it's thing.
Porsche (at least used to) recommend no more than 4 PEA treatments per OCI.

So it looks like it CAN get into the sump via blowby gasses...and do something that Porsche doesn't like.

You can also (and people do) put ATF, MMO and STP in the crankcase, but who would??

Now if the Chevron Techron container said one add to the crankcase, that would be something I would want to know more about.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
PEA can in part survive combustion to do it's thing. Porsche (at least used to) recommend no more than 4 PEA treatments per OCI. So it looks like it CAN get into the sump via blowby gasses...and do something that Porsche doesn't like.
True, yet the *hope* (trust) is the people of Gumout have put something else in their PEA-based Multi-System treatment to allow safe use in an oil sump directly. (I wouldn't use something intended ONLY for the gas tank.) There is always a suspicion that anything added to the sump, including this, somehow upsets seal conditioning or swelling, or otherwise interferes with all the chemistry in a normal motor oil's additive package. If the Gumout people say its OK to use, trust is what one needs.....

Originally Posted By: Donald
You can also (and people do) put ATF, MMO and STP in the crankcase, but who would??

Now if the Chevron Techron container said one add to the crankcase, that would be something I would want to know more about.

I added 6 ounces of Gumout Multi-System tune up to a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 that had a good amount of sludge under the valve cover.

I added the 6 ounces to the oil and started the engine. The engine instantly exploded and killed everyone and everything in a 6 mile radius! I am typing this as a ghost and coming to haunt you next!!!

No. Actually I added the 6 ounces of Gumout and drove normally for the last 1,000 miles of the oil change interval. Nothing bad happened, no check engine lights, not even any weird sounds occurred. If anything the little bit of valve train noise this engine has seemed to go away. During the oil change, the oil was very black as usual and nothing else strange happened. Looking under the valve cover with my inspection camera after the oil change, the valve train looked a lot better than before. The thick black sludge that was sitting in the corners and low spots was almost completely gone. Once the engine was refilled with oil and started, the valve train noise did not come back and has not come back yet.

I would say The Gumout Multi-system tune did help clean up the engine more than just a normal oil change alone. I can't report anything bad happening and the Jeep is still running well.

These were my findings and I am happy with the results. Do what you want to do and as always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Resurrecting an old post. I Purchased a 2008 Volvo V 70 (3.2L) that was consuming a quart of oil every 3000 miles. I treated it with 10 ounces of techron in the crankcase per oil change for 25-30,000 miles and now it is using about a half of a quart in between oil changes at 7500 miles. The car now has 227,000 miles. Zero adverse effects that I can tell. The thought came from Yamaha ring-Free which from what I understand shares quite a bit of common attributes with Techron, PEA is a major one from my understanding. I also run 10'ish ounces of Techron in my 2002 ML320 crankcase which has put an end to it building carbon on top of the pistons which in cold weather sounded like a major rod knock. The ML has a tick under 300,000 miles on it and I've been using the Techron for around 150,000 miles. My mechanic replaced the FSS sensor and commented on how clean the inside of the engine was and asked what oil I used. It's a simple recipe; synthetic rotella & Techron.

Last edited:
Interesting. I don't know how Techron in the crankcase would clean the piston tops, piston rings yes, piston tops, no. Normally you need something added to the fuel to help clean piston tops. I wouldn't advise anyone to added Techron or any other fuel system cleaner to the crankcase if it's not intended to be used in there.

Pea gets on cylinder walls and then pulled down into oil sump. I wouldn't do it every time, but using right before oci in conjunction with in the tank and topside to clean throttle as a 1,2,3 punch would do a lot I think. Cutting down on ethanol as it's hard on the rings is helpful too.

Back