Archoil additive for Powerstroke engined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archoil sells two products I saw hawked on powerstrokehelp.com
YouTube videos. One (oil additive) is claimed to reduce friction and help with the turbo and the other (fuel additive) reduced soot so the pollution systems do not need to work as hard.

Comments? Anyone tried them? Yes I know no oil additives.

I have used both in my 7.3 PSD. IMO the oil additive helped more than the fuel treatment. I can tell a slight difference in the injector noise, but and it definitely starts easier. I ditched the fuel additive and went back to 2 stroke oil. I think that it has been known to help out the HEUI injected 7.3s and 6.0s more than the newer 6.4 and 6.7 (the oil additive that is).

The oil additive is designed mostly to help HEUI injectors, but since your 2015 uses common rail injection, and your 1999 uses a distributor pump, those oil additives aren't that important. CJ-4 oil has everything you need and nothing you shouldn't have.

There are fuel additives that claim to make the fuel burn cleaner and better protect the components of all diesel injection systems, but I don't know how well they work. I often read that Stanadyne makes the best diesel fuel additive, but because I don't have any diesels to work on, I don't know how well any of those additives actually work.

changing it more than less is the number one way to help a psd with heui injectors. full synthetic is the next since injector failure is either not enough fuel or deposits where the injector piston travels on the oil side. But my truck loves anything you put in the fuel tank. tcw3 or any fuel additive. It is a night and day difference without. I also fuel up at the same place every time and they are top tier. I also have no pollution controls whatsoever so I can't comment on egr cleanliness or def type numbers.

Originally Posted By: abycat
changing it more than less is the number one way to help a psd with heui injectors. full synthetic is the next since injector failure is either not enough fuel or deposits where the injector piston travels on the oil side. But my truck loves anything you put in the fuel tank. tcw3 or any fuel additive. It is a night and day difference without. I also fuel up at the same place every time and they are top tier. I also have no pollution controls whatsoever so I can't comment on egr cleanliness or def type numbers.

I agree on the additives. My 7.3 loves TC-W3 super tech oil. I use about 16oz/per 20 gallons it's a world of a difference

Liqui Moly Ceratec and any of the major brand fuel additives designed for cleaning the injectors. If you don't like using fuel additives every time you fuel up, then try using LM Diesel Purge (It's a direct feed injection system cleaner) every time you change the fuel filter by filling up the filter housing (Read the instructions about varying the idle for 10 mins after use).

Ceratec contains both Moly and Boron Nitride in a hexagonal form, so you get 2 good additives for the price of one.

Last edited:
If you wish to use a diesel fuel additive I suggest checking into Stanadyne's product line. Personally I use the Deere branded diesel fuel additive as its easily accessible for me. Its blended for them by Stanadyne and I treat every gallon as I have 3 bulk tanks on site.

I've spent a while now digging into ArchOil, and some of it's competition, like EnerBurn. I've come across several articles that seem to backup ArchOil claims of modifying the fuel burn, and more complete burn with soot suppression (obviously good for DPF). Very small doses of organometallic compounds, especially managanese compounds, change the level and particle size of soot to extend time between regens and overall DPF soot loading. Crazy stuff, a little over my head, but worth a look by (much smarter, than me Mola-kind of folks) others here at BITOG to figure it out.
I'm just looking for a product I can add at the pump that will keep the DPF in shape, and add some lubricity. The 6.7 starts and runs so well, I doubt ANY type of add is necessary, while my old 6.0 thrived on Opti-Lube or Redline 85 plus.
My initial test of 1/2 Howes Meaner Kleener and 1/2 Howes Lubricator in the 6.7 got me to 800 miles before a regen. And neither of those product appear to have any type of organometallic compound. I'm running OptiLube right now, again, without any type of organometallics as far as I can see.
I have a sample of ArchOil to try on deck. And am considering ordering EnerBurn, with it's MSDS calling out organoferrometallic compounds. Funny how Tetraethyl Lead is an organometallic but that's a no-no near any emissions device.

http://www.google.com.gt/patents/EP1411107B1?cl=en
http://www.sci.utah.edu/publications/Mar2007a/Marsh_CST2007.pdf
http://www.energreentechnologies.com.au/downloads/EnerBurn_MSDS.pdf
https://www.google.com/patents/US4378973

Added ArchOil AR6200 with this last tank of fuel. B11 laced Amoco, added the recommended dose of AR6200, 15ml. I've run a lot of B11, being what most stations carry around here. Last fill was out of town, and B5.
About 100 miles in since the last regen, I watched soot level in the DPF (monitored with an Edge CTS) climb from 1.57 to 2.34 over the next 9 miles. I've never seen anything like this with this truck, and at that rate, another regen will happen in the next 30 miles. I didn't drive anymore yesterday to see if it slows, and won't be back in the truck until the weekend.
I'm not saying ArchOil had anything to do with this. Just a anomaly I noticed. Could be anything. different fuel, weather, sun, moon, gravity. Engine was up to temp, all I did was refuel and add the ArchOil.
Jury is out for me on the stuff.

Here is another article I stumbled on regarding nanolubes, like AR9100.
https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/07/f17/ft018_erdemir_2014_o.pdf

Last edited:
Archoil is a potassium borate. Borates are already present in Castrol Edge and other hi performance oils. The leader in borates chemistry is Vanderbilt chemicals since they do not have their own ZDDP production.

But borates increase corrosion and ruin engine long term especially in temperature fluctuation climates and high moisture climates.
So I would use them only in racing cars but never in cars that would have same oil for months in the engine.

Follow up...
My short trial of ArchOil 6200 in diesel is over. My PSD is a really great running truck, and usually regens about every 600-800 miles. As stated, soot percentage continued to climb astronomically, and the truck did it's own active regen after 150 miles. the next 150 has brought the soot percentage up again into the three's.
Next trial for me is EnerBurn. According to the blurb, developed by Exxon and Nalco, and provides lubricity adds, biocide, and nanotechnology for better burn and less soot load. That meets my goals, if it works, and is cheaper overall than AR6200.
We now return to the usual finger pointing and blind faith.

Very interested to hear how your Enerburn trial went - please update us. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Follow up...
My short trial of ArchOil 6200 in diesel is over. My PSD is a really great running truck, and usually regens about every 600-800 miles. As stated, soot percentage continued to climb astronomically, and the truck did it's own active regen after 150 miles. the next 150 has brought the soot percentage up again into the three's.
Next trial for me is EnerBurn. According to the blurb, developed by Exxon and Nalco, and provides lubricity adds, biocide, and nanotechnology for better burn and less soot load. That meets my goals, if it works, and is cheaper overall than AR6200.
We now return to the usual finger pointing and blind faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back