Should the kid keep $40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a yes or no on this one, here's the back story. My son was invited to an event and my wife and I gave him $40 for expenses. When he got back he still had the $40 and he said the other family paid his way for his birthday next week. For the record $40 is no burden to either family. One of us thinks my son should keep the money since we planned to spend it on him anyway. The other thinks we should keep it as the expense wasn't as expected. So what do you think?

I'd let him keep it. Don't want to be an Indian giver. How would you like it if your dad gave you $40 then wanted it back later? Not worth splitting hairs over.

Well Heres my math if I read it right.

Son gets $40 to give to parents of the event giver.
The Event parents knew the Son had a Bday coming up so they sprung for the $40 expense as a Bday present but wont be giving anything at his actual Bday party.

Is $40 a typical Bday present size?

If yes then the boy keeps the $40 and its the same as if he gave the $40 to the event parents and then they gave him $40 at his Bday party.

Make sure he understands this logic and thanks the event parents.

Last edited:
Have him use it for the next event he goes to where you would normally be sending him there with $40. Even tell him now just to hang on to it until then. I'm assuming something will be coming up soon.

Great opportunity to teach some values. First, he should once again offer to pay the other parents, at least in part. Then, he should be trying to return it to you. Then if you tell him to keep it, save etc.

Sounds loike the difference of opinion is between you and your wife....maybe a compromise, keep 1/2, is in order.

It was $40 as a birthday present so I would let him keep the money since it's money he swapped in exchange for a present.
I would also tell him I appreciate his honesty in telling you he still had the money. Worst thing in my opinion is parents who tell thier kids what to do with thier money as far as savings.
Kids need to learn how to use money and how to budget money and it's better they do so on a kids level than a adult level due to the smaller scale.
It's good to let them sink or swim with money and learn.

If you gave it to him, then its his... He'll hate you a lot more than the $40 is worth if you take it away from him.

I'd take the family out to dinner, and tell him that he is paying for it.

Just kidding.

Open a stock trading account with $500 and let him make all the trades as he sees fit.

Return it to you.

The $40 was earmarked for a specific event by you & your wife. It was not a gift to him according to your description but to be handed to the other parents to cover your son's expenses.

The other couple gave a gift to your son for his birthday and the reimbursement for expenses was not required.

You can return the favor by inviting their child to your son's event.

The $40 was not used for the intended purpose and should be returned to you.

Your son will be receiving sufficient gifts on his birthday.

If you provided your son $50 to purchase school supplies and the store did not have the supplies then wuould you tell your son to just keep the $50? I think this sends an incorrect message.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Return it to you.

The $40 was earmarked for a specific event by you & your wife. It was not a gift to him according to your description but to be handed to the other parents to cover your son's expenses.

The other couple gave a gift to your son for his birthday and the reimbursement for expenses was not required.

If you provided your son $50 to purchase school supplies and the store did not have the supplies then wuould you tell your son to just keep the $50? I think this sends an incorrect message.

^^This^^

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Return it to you.

This was almost my exact reasoning. Obviously my wife was the other opinion. Our son gave us back the money on his own. He actually has little need for it although he understands the value. After he left the room my wife and I discussed the point. She can't believe I don't see how she is right. I told her I understand perfectly, I just don't agree. It was nice to see 3rd party opinions. Thanks all! My wife and I are still together. She still has the $40, maybe she'll give it back to him.

Originally Posted By: OTCW
Have him use it for the next event he goes to where you would normally be sending him there with $40. Even tell him now just to hang on to it until then. I'm assuming something will be coming up soon.

yup this, look forward. Kids (IDK how old yours is) need to get along socially as it's a crowded world out there, this'll give him some impetus to find something else cool to do with some buds.

Yes, he should keep it. The same as if the other family gave him $40 for his upcoming birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back