Thanks dad !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was not sure where to put this topic so here goes.. I was frantically getting ready for my big camping trip I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and I tow a 5,000 pound (Loaded) camper. I picked up 6 quarts of my usual Valvoline 10w30 Synpower and my father offered to help me out and said he would get my truck ready for me oil change, ck coolant, trans fluid level, tires etc. my father knows cars and is quite good at working on them and since he is retired he has more time then myself. When I went to pick up my Pathfinder I noticed the 5 quart jug of Valvoline was empty but the sixth quart was not used (Takes aprox 5.5) and there was an empty bottle of STP synthetic oil treatment on the garage floor! .. Um .. Dad! .. Did you add this to my oil! .. Why yes son I use it in the old Buick and since you are towing I figured I would add this to your oil to thicken it.

Anyway I decided not to get mad after all he was trying to help and I had no time to dump out the mixture so we are on our trip now and the truck ran great on the way here. The question is do I just leave the mixture in for a normal 5,000 mile change or dump it out after my trip?

Leave it in. Won't hurt anything.

Then, and I mean it, thank your Dad for helping.

He meant well, wanted you to be taken care of, and provided you with what he thinks is best. Ever hear the saying, "the best gift is one that you would like to receive"? That's your Dad. Consider yourself lucky.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

^^This times a million!! Take him out to dinner at his fave restaurant. DO NOT mention any unsatisfaction with his oil change. I'll tell you this from experience,once a loved one is gone,the things you'll miss the most is the stuff that got on your nerves and annoyed you about them. It's really weird.

Old school thoughts. Put in some thickener for longer harder trips and some MMO for winter
No harm then and now if used as recommended.

That STP product is nothing more than a viscosity improver. Been around forever. Anyone remember the STP TV commercial where an actor dips a screwdriver in that goop and then demonstrates that the tool can't be gripped with two fingers? About thirty five years ago, I recall that I was working on preventative maintenance procedures for our steam generator(boiler) burner decks, and the manufacturer of the air cylinders listed a lubricant used for piston o-rings.It was a chemical compound that I didn't have a clue to what it was. Station chemist did some searching and said it was STP. Had the warehouse stock STP and those blue,white and red STP cans flew off the shelf. Should have known. Maintenance superintendent stated that half the vehicles in Moffat County had STP in the crankcase. Anyone remember what well known race car driver did those TV commercial? I believe he was also the number one guy at STP.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Stevie
This thread really makes me miss my dad.

Me too. I miss my parents more than anything in the world.

Just think,you have the spirit of Andy Granatelli and Studebaker Corp in your crankcase now!

STP has a synthetic oil treatment ? I knew that had an oil treatment but didn't know they had one specifically for synthetic oil. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Leave it in. Won't hurt anything.

He meant well, wanted you to be taken care of, and provided you with what he thinks is best. Ever hear the saying, "the best gift is one that you would like to receive"? That's your Dad. Consider yourself lucky.

Amen! Leave everything alone and enjoy the trip. Rumor here has it the STP synthetic oil treatment might actually be good.

For many, many, years - my dad dumped the SAE 30 Amalie in his Fords - and opened up the STP -
I knew it was my job to pour the slooowww stuff in while he cleaned up and updated his OCI records ...

Won't hurt anything but feelings at this stage ...

I would run STP in a sump full of oil during the spring, summer, and fall, but would never run it in the winter if the vehicle was anywhere where the temperatures really got cold.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
STP has a synthetic oil treatment ? I knew that had an oil treatment but didn't know they had one specifically for synthetic oil. Interesting.

Yes not sure when it came out Its in a gold colored bottle I took the cover off and put the remaining few drops on my hitch ball and it sticks like glue and it has a strong smell to it sort of like gear oil. (Lots of zinc?) anyway I must say my V6 seems exceptionally quiet running this? I'm thinking the viscosity is a plus for the three timing chains the Nissan VQ40 V6 has as far as keeping them a bit quieter? Since this V6 can shear down an oil big time when towing I think I will get a UOA to see just how it held up for kicks.

I totally agree with all the dad comments my dad is a great man in so many ways.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Was not sure where to put this topic so here goes.. I was frantically getting ready for my big camping trip I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and I tow a 5,000 pound (Loaded) camper. I picked up 6 quarts of my usual Valvoline 10w30 Synpower and my father offered to help me out and said he would get my truck ready for me oil change, ck coolant, trans fluid level, tires etc. my father knows cars and is quite good at working on them and since he is retired he has more time then myself. When I went to pick up my Pathfinder I noticed the 5 quart jug of Valvoline was empty but the sixth quart was not used (Takes aprox 5.5) and there was an empty bottle of STP synthetic oil treatment on the garage floor! .. Um .. Dad! .. Did you add this to my oil! .. Why yes son I use it in the old Buick and since you are towing I figured I would add this to your oil to thicken it.

Anyway I decided not to get mad after all he was trying to help and I had no time to dump out the mixture so we are on our trip now and the truck ran great on the way here. The question is do I just leave the mixture in for a normal 5,000 mile change or dump it out after my trip?

If the STP stuff was the newer synthetic stuff it is thinner and does not appreciably thicken the oil. The old Blue bottle stuff was really thick and would raise the sump oil at least one grade.

Besides, you are going to be changing the oil before winter anyway.

Anyway, enjoy your dad while he is alive.
happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back