Ebay $5 cabin filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
For an item that filters the cabin air, I would not consider it non-critical.

it might be asbestos he can afford!
whistle.gif

Just think,no matter the vehicle,before the first of the cabin filters (mid 90s?),you were breathing unfiltered outside air.As you are when you exit the vehicle.Scary thought......lol

I used the EBAY cabin filters and air filters they are just as good as OEM or Auto parts stores FRAM,Purolator for 1/4 the price. mine has an air flow arrow on it.Most big name manufactured filters are made in the same factories using the same materials by the same workers that the big money filters are made.

For the price it's worth the experiment IMO. I had an issue with an eBay CAF for a Hyundai Santa Fe I had years ago. It wouldn't fit quite right. It was about half the cost of a good parts store CAF. Tossed it and got one at CarQuest IIRC. My CAFs last a long time, like several years on average. I shop vac them off and reinstall many times between replacements.

That's what I'm thinking. The factory makes Fram in the AM and their own no names at night to make some money under the table or whatever they call it in China. $5 shipped for my Nissan is about 20% of the price.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Anyone tried one of these? I just ordered one. Figure its a non critical part and could be a sweet bargain. We'll see.

You just did, or will soon. Why don't you tell us?

Walmart has the Fram Fresh Breeze with carbon for $17-18. The online price was $10.08 so they did a price match.

Everytime you go outside, hold your breath... the air is UNFILTERED!!! Oh noes...

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
That's what I'm thinking. The factory makes Fram in the AM and their own no names at night to make some money under the table or whatever they call it in China. $5 shipped for my Nissan is about 20% of the price.
I used the no name EBAY combo air/cabin filters both for $12 shipped and I could not see any difference than the OEM Toyota filters made in USA for 3 times that cost. I would say definetly use them and save the money.

I've been using them for the past 18 months in the Wife's Santa Fe, changing them every 6 months (change it early due to the boys allergies). They do the job, I can't say they do any worse judging from the amount of dust on the dash compared to the first 6 months with the OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I've been using them for the past 18 months in the Wife's Santa Fe, changing them every 6 months (change it early due to the boys allergies). They do the job, I can't say they do any worse judging from the amount of dust on the dash compared to the first 6 months with the OEM filter.

If your kids have allergies that bad, you should consider the Bosch HEPA filter, if it's available for your cars. It does cost more, though.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

If your kids have allergies that bad, you should consider the Bosch HEPA filter, if it's available for your cars. It does cost more, though.

They are, until he gets old enough to use allergy meds stronger than a half dose of childs Claritin we use air purifiers and humidifiers! lol

I'll have to look into those thanks!

Careful buying these from Chinese eBay sellers, I just got refunded for some that arrived in just an envelope, no box so they were crushed.

It should be fine. Some people use furnace filters and take the time to cut them to fit the airbox. I would have to think if everything is nice and tight the homemade ones should work fine. It's not rocket science and most of the dirt and dust should be collected if it is installed tightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back