HDEO for Peugeot 406 2l Petrol- A3 SH/SJ specified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I'm looking for opinions on an HDEO for my 2001 Peugeot 406 2l petrol estate with 251000 km on the clock. Recommended oil specs for this vehicle is ACEA A3 or API SH/SJ.

I have been using Shell Helix Ultra fully syn 5w-40 but am seeing an increase in oil consumption and would be happy to move to something a bit cheaper and that will help reduce oil consumption.

I have found an HDEO that I think will be suited.

Delo® 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 is a high performance heavy-duty diesel engine lubricant formulated with advanced ISOSYN® technology and specifically designed for a wide range of diesel and gasoline engines requiring an API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, SL, ACEA E7 or JASO DH-1 performance lubricant.

Do you think this will be appropriate or should I go for a full HDEO pack like this one?:

Delo® 400 LE 15W-40 is a premium performance, “low-SAPS” heavy-duty diesel engine oil specifically designed to lubricate a wide range of high speed diesel engines requiring API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS / SM, or ACEA E9 performance lubricants operating under the most severe service conditions

Thank in advance for your input!
grin.gif

The first one is fine. Second is low saps for cars that require low saps (such as ones with a dpf).

Anything that's cheaper is going to be better as the engine is just chewing through good Shell Helix Ultra. 15W40 may not curb consumption much, if at all but for the sake of saving money, I say go for it. If it reduces consumption too, then double winnings for you!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
ACEA E7 is a full SAPS specification and is not meant for use in petrol engines. It can cause excessive deposits on spark pugs and in combustion chambers. That said I have used it for a decade in a old Ford 1.3. No problems.

Other specification you hae mentioned in your post is E9, low SAPS HDEO. Mind with a max ash level of 1.0% is right in the middle for passenger cars and more suited for a petrol cars. Between the two I would pick the later oil, however if I have found that Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 or 5w40 considerably reduce oil consumption after certain period.

Which 2.0 engine is this, the EW10J4 RFN I assume? Before switching oils, have you managed to identify the cause of the oil consumption? The EW10J4 has a PCV valve, has that been replaced at any point? I would not use an E7 rated oil.

Welcome !!

You should be able to find a semi-synthetic 10W40 that is A3/B4 for a fairly low price. Give that a go, it meets your car specs and these oils are quite common.

Between the two Delo oils you listed, either would work and both carry API Sx and so are suitable for petrol cars. If the same price I would go the E9, it's a low SAPS HDEO oil which about equals a full SAPS PCMO. My mate uses the E7 Delo in his motorcycle and loves it. Delo is good stuff.

Thanks Falcon_LS!

Yes, it is an RFN and I did 'rebuild' (replaced the perished hoses between the connectors) the breather hoses about a year back but can't see a PCV valve on the diagram or in the Haynes manual?

Thanks!

Thank you SR5!

We have plenty of semi syn in A3 / B4 spec available but I was more concerned with limiting oil loss (if it's due to wear) or limiting the cost of more frequent oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Monkeymanmike
Thank you SR5!

We have plenty of semi syn in A3 / B4 spec available but I was more concerned with limiting oil loss (if it's due to wear) or limiting the cost of more frequent oil changes.

Then I would go a thicker 15W40 as you were thinking. In J300 a 15W40 has a higher min for viscosity and HTHS, so they are just about always thicker than a 0/5/10W40. Especially the HDEOs like Delo, Rimula / Rotella, Delvac, etc

BTW we can get mineral PCMO 15W40's here like Shell HX5 or Castrol GTX 15W40 at a very good price. They are all rated API SN and ACEA A3//B3. These should work well for you and are also worth considering.

The Euro A3/B3 (TBN > 8) and A3/B4 (TBN > 10) are very smiler specs, the major difference being a higher TBN (acid fighting ability) for the A3/B4 for a longer oil change interval (OCI). But a TBN of 8 is heaps, and better than many ILSAC oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back