2017 Fusion best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MotorCraft is always a good place to start and is a good oil held in high regard here at BITOG. Decide how you & wife and the rest of the family will be using the car. If it's only going to be the daily driver then any recommend oil in the owner's manual will do.

Thanks for the reply. It is just a dd, grocery getter etc. My only concern is the stop and go nature of her commute. She only drives about 5 miles a day during the week.

Mobil 1 from WM - then catch year end clearance for several popular synthetic oils that AZ and others will have for half price ...
I bought Castrol, Mobil 1, and Quaker State UD for $10/jug during sale.

Originally Posted By: mattri
Just picked up a 2017 Fusion, 1.5 Ecoboost for the wife, Motorcraft or???

--You used the word "best" in the title.
--You are changing it at home.
--Its a nice new engine.
--It will be extremely short-tripped (little warm-up time).

Based on your situation, get out the big guns (short tripping worries me the most).
That would be Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20, and change it according to the iOLM (iOLM is your engine computer's calculation of condition severity and oil life; the change oil light on your dashboard). Make sure to reset the iOLM (youtube videos on this) when you do change.

M1 Annual Protection has the best anti-oxidant package and base oils that Mobil can offer, and it should battle it out with the short tripping acid chemistry the best.
Walmart has it down to $30 per 5-quart jug after e-Gift card rebate, so its not that bad if you want the best. Otherwise, M1 EP 0w20 would also work well, for a few less $$.

Also, get rid of the factory fill oil within a couple of months after buying the car, just to clear out the metal micro-dust inside. Get a magnetic drain plug (Dimple or GoldPlug strong magnets) to collect extra iron particles for the life of the vehicle.

Oil filters are not always the same inside. Use a Fram Ultra; compare the way its made and its 4548-12 performance to any other oil filters out there if you want to research that.

If you remove the word "best" from your title, I'd say just use any oil (5w20) you see on the shelf at Walmart and any oil filter there, and change according to the iOLM.

Last edited:
Well Sir, that's Best Plus ...
thumbsup2.gif

There is another reason Mobil 1 Annual Protection is a great choice. It appears to be approved for Dexos1 Gen 2, which has added tests for Low-Speed Pre Ignition (LSPI), which can occur especially in Turbocharged Direct Injection engines, which the Ecoboost has

Originally Posted By: btanchors
There is another reason Mobil 1 Annual Protection is a great choice. It appears to be approved for Dexos1 Gen 2, which has added tests for Low-Speed Pre Ignition (LSPI), which can occur especially in Turbocharged Direct Injection engines, which the Ecoboost has

Wondering if a dexos1 Gen2 would have helped a DI engine I had a couple of years ago that would do LSPI knocking at low-RPM, high loads. Probably.
Also, dexos1 Gen2 has new timing chain wear tests, similar to what GF-6 will have 2 years from now.
Hard to go wrong with a full synthetic dexos1 Gen2, and I think its very close to BMW LL-01FE levels of performance, if not already the same.

Use Quaker State Ultimate Durability. It's $20 For a 5 quest jug at Wal-Mart and it's the one of the best anti wear oils which is important for short trips. If you don't like SOPUS, try Castrol Magnatec. It has produced some of the best UOA I have seen in Ford Ecoboost engines and is usually less than $18 a 5 quest jug at Wal-Mart. Change at the IOLM and enjoy your new car.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: mattri
Just picked up a 2017 Fusion, 1.5 Ecoboost for the wife, Motorcraft or???

--You used the word "best" in the title.
--You are changing it at home.
--Its a nice new engine.
--It will be extremely short-tripped (little warm-up time).

Based on your situation, get out the big guns (short tripping worries me the most).
That would be Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20, and change it according to the iOLM (iOLM is your engine computer's calculation of condition severity and oil life; the change oil light on your dashboard). Make sure to reset the iOLM (youtube videos on this) when you do change.

M1 Annual Protection has the best anti-oxidant package and base oils that Mobil can offer, and it should battle it out with the short tripping acid chemistry the best.
Walmart has it down to $30 per 5-quart jug after e-Gift card rebate, so its not that bad if you want the best. Otherwise, M1 EP 0w20 would also work well, for a few less $$.

Also, get rid of the factory fill oil within a couple of months after buying the car, just to clear out the metal micro-dust inside. Get a magnetic drain plug (Dimple or GoldPlug strong magnets) to collect extra iron particles for the life of the vehicle.

Oil filters are not always the same inside. Use a Fram Ultra; compare the way its made and its 4548-12 performance to any other oil filters out there if you want to research that.

If you remove the word "best" from your title, I'd say just use any oil (5w20) you see on the shelf at Walmart and any oil filter there, and change according to the iOLM.

This is 100% true. Best possible oil that's widely available. But dumping it according to the OLM which is what you'll need to do to maintain warranty, will have you dumping good oil. Best Value imo is the dexos1 certified M1 5w-30.

The magnetic drain plug is a good idea.

I would go with Mobil 1. It will probably hold up better than Motorcraft synthetic blend, especially in those conditions.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
This is 100% true. Best possible oil that's widely available. But dumping it according to the OLM which is what you'll need to do to maintain warranty, will have you dumping good oil. Best Value imo is the dexos1 certified M1 5w-30. The magnetic drain plug is a good idea.

Ford specs 5w20, not 30, yet I'd say go to a 0w20 here due to short tripping. Wouldn't have to use 0w20 (vs. 5w20), but the 0w20 isn't as thick during warm-up. I fully agree that M1 EP or plain M1 could be used instead of M1 Ann Prot here for almost the same results. The engine would be OK doing about anything if following the iOLM for sure. Sometimes we pull out all the stops, sometimes we don't care to.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
This is 100% true. Best possible oil that's widely available. But dumping it according to the OLM which is what you'll need to do to maintain warranty, will have you dumping good oil. Best Value imo is the dexos1 certified M1 5w-30. The magnetic drain plug is a good idea.

Ford specs 5w20, not 30, yet I'd say go to a 0w20 here due to short tripping. Wouldn't have to use 0w20 (vs. 5w20), but the 0w20 isn't as thick during warm-up. I fully agree that M1 EP or plain M1 could be used instead of M1 Ann Prot here for almost the same results. The engine would be OK doing about anything if following the iOLM for sure. Sometimes we pull out all the stops, sometimes we don't care to.

It's 5w-30 for all ecoboost engines. My brother has a 2017 and we have verified. The oil cap even says 5w30

His Transit Connect with the 2.5 I4 that is NA is 5w-20

Last edited:

Not on the list

It's 5w-30 for all ecoboost engines. My brother has a 2017 and we have verified. The oil cap even says 5w30
His Transit Connect with the 2.5 I4 that is NA is 5w-20
Thats really confusing. Some did get changed to 5w30, its true yet the 2017 1.5L is 5w20, officially. Must be the better water-cooling of the turbo bearings (??) allowing it in 1.5L EB engines compared to some other EB's. Also, slightly lower bearing loads per unit area maybe (think Stribeck).

Mobiloil.com says 5w20
Castrol.com says 5w20
2017 Ford Fusion Owner's Manual says 5w20:
IvmMrfT.jpg

Originally Posted By: LotI

Not on the list

According to the Dexos License Number printed on the bottles/Jugs of Mobil 1 Annual Protection, it IS licensed for Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back