'15 Fiat 500 Abarth. Did I do any harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My 2015 Fiat Abarth has 77K miles on it and I've owned it from new. All recommended services are up to date and have always been done on time by the dealer. I got a lifetime/unlimited mileage bumper to bumper factory extended warranty and didn't want any issues if/when I have a claim. Plus, there's no room to work on it- everything is crammed under the hood. Oil has been PU or PP Euro 5W40 as recommended by the factory at 5k mile intervals. Driving is 90% highway at speeds of 60-75 mph.

One day leaving work, a coworker behind me noticed puffs of black smoke between gears when shifting. I checked the oil when I got home and it was a tad low, but still over halfway up the crosshatch on the dipstick. I thought about it and realized the PCV valve had never been changed- there is no change interval in the manual. I ordered one and put it in. The original valve was stuck.

I've noticed no difference in performance or fuel economy. The car runs great and fuel ecomony is great as well (38/39 mpg average.) I'm hoping I dodged a bullet. What do y'all think?

Last edited:
Relax, it's fine. I'd think black smoke is more fuel related than oil related. If it's running well, it's likely normal.

The car is a blast. I realize that Fiats don't have the best reputation, but this one has been more reliable than my wife's Nissan.

Wouldn't worry about it at all. Think about how many millions of vehicles don't ever get the PCV changed and don't get the level of care your Fiat does.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Wouldn't worry about it at all. Think about how many millions of vehicles don't ever get the PCV changed and don't get the level of care your Fiat does.

Yep. I was worried about the possibility of sludge. The engines are known to run hot and be hard on oil. I'm hoping my maintenance regimen, top tier oil and the lack of short trips kept shudge at bay.

How often should I change the PCV? I'm thinking 15-30k miles?

Something like that will certainly keep it working as it should
smile.gif

I wouldn't worry, black smoke isn't all that bad. You may use some injector cleaner, like LM Injector cleaner pro line. Great stuff recommend to me by a member Trav.
Keep with Euro spec oils and enjoy it. I have N/A 1.4, non MA version with 247K km, still doesn't use any measurable amount of oil.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Oil has been PU or PP Euro 5W40 as recommended by the factory at 5k mile intervals.

With this amazing oil and 5K intervals,there's no chance whatsoever the engine has any sludge. Keep on keeping on!!
19.gif

Might have been running a little rich because it was cold or you were running it hard...or coworker might have been pulling your leg!

Are the puffs of black smoke still coming out of it after the pcv valve change? What rpm range do you normally change gears?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Might have been running a little rich because it was cold or you were running it hard...or coworker might have been pulling your leg!

Yeah sounds like a classic case of pulling hard out of the lot for the co-workers
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yeah sounds like a classic case of pulling hard out of the lot for the co-workers
laugh.gif

That's exactly what it was- I was pulling hard out of a traffic light. The engine wasn't "cold" pre se, but it wasn't fully warmed up, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back