apparently leaf springs are sold singly

Status
Not open for further replies.
While coil springs are sold in pairs, apparently leaf springs are not. not sure how I missed that fact. my one spring arrived today.

Looks like you'll have to ...spring for another one!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ford sells springs individually no matter if of the torsion, air, coil, or leaf variety.

Yeah OEM is generally a la carte. It blows people's minds.

Springs are something I would replace as a pair due to wear, but there are collision and warranty situations where you just do one.

I've been replacing them singly for years when it's simply a broken spring. Sagging suspension is when I replace them in axle pairs.

Claud.

Heh heh Rassen frassen ole Grand Wagoneers had weak leafs in the front. Every one I had had one or the other main leaf break. Usually in the dead of winter. I never bought a new set, I just recycled them through the wags. Every single one in the dead of winter around New Years. Last one I replaced the broken sub leaves without removing the main leaf from the car.

Ford sells springs individually no matter if of the torsion, air, coil, or leaf variety.

THAT...doesn't surprise me. You know those little horseshoe clips that is needed for a fuel filter change? Ford never used to include them on a fuel filter sale either.
Let's see now: The most expensive fuel filter on the market and it doesn't include that clips that cost all of $.01 to mass produce.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

THAT...doesn't surprise me. You know those little horseshoe clips that is needed for a fuel filter change? Ford never used to include them on a fuel filter sale either.
Let's see now: The most expensive fuel filter on the market and it doesn't include that clips that cost all of $.01 to mass produce.

They actually did include the little white clips for a long time. They don't any longer. I actually sell very few fuel filters except for diesels.

The leaf springs were the first parts I changed after I bought my MG.

One had a broken leaf, but the other was saggy and the general advice I received was that I'd be unhappy unless I replaced both. Even so, they were sold singly(for $100 each...).

BTW, 2 years later my largish frame combined with not having passengers all that often(and them usually lighter than me when present) has lead to a pronounced condition popularly known as "bachelor lean" on my car. I'm going to swap the springs around this fall-and also fit poly bushings to replace the 2 year old rubber ones that are already shot.

I changed one spring on my 22 year old F150 and it sits straight (enough) again. I didn't know the old one was bad; came up at state inspection when they assigned the senior mechanic to my heap.
lol.gif

Yup, went through the same thing for my Grand Marquis with coils, and for my Explorer, with leafs. Aftermarket may come in parts, but in most cases some OE does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back