How soon can I sample oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a coolant loss issue on my 4runner and suspect it could be a leaking head gasket. It's only been 550 miles since my last oil change but I want to send a sample off to confirm my suspicions. So, how many miles should I put on the oil before taking the sample?

How much coolant have you lost in 550 miles? If the leak is bad enough and finding its way into the oil 550 miles should be plenty. A very slow leak will probably take more miles to show up.

Another easier and faster way to find out is with a cooling system pressure tester. That will tell you if you have a bad head gasket in a matter of minutes.

The coolant overflow bottle was empty the other day and I don't think I had topped it off since the oil change. I've tried all the tests and they are negative, but the coolant is still going somewhere. I figured a sample of the oil would tell me one way or the other.

Not sure if it matters, but the 550 miles has taken 6-7 weeks to accumulate. I do a ton of short trips.

Sample now; if it is leaking into the oil it should show up. I had a coolant leak awhile back; Blackstone recommended a 2k OCI until repaired...

Had mine done on the 86 Olds Calais 2.5 [128,ooo miles] after getting it back from my brother. The sample I sent in was said to have indicators of coolant, but the head gasket had been changed before I bought it.

Blackstone said to sample it again in 1000 miles, as well as change it to be certain the contaminants were completely removed . I only have 100 miles or so on the fresh oil and filter as well as old coolant flush and replacement so CARJ's question is timely.

The odd thing is, I was suspicious of losing coolant back when I first owned the car from 92-99. It seemed to disappear at a slow rate. Parents drove it for six, then little bro for 11, before having to do a head gasket replacement some time in the past year or two.

Sample oil was very black, but the car will be going in for a total mechanical probe in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for bringing up the question CARJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back