My DNA test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my DNA results from 23andme.
The part I'm most proud of is that I have more Neanderthal DNA then 71 % of all the people they have ever tested.
But its still less then 4%.

Neanderthal DNA is cool! I have something like one percent I think. But I know that a lot of 23andme is conjecture re: origins, the company seems to guess in a very left leaning way when they don't have enough statistical data. They need a bigger sample size to shut up their subjectivity and replace it with objective fact.

Add Facebooks and similar and we compile/volunteer our own files for secret police services of the whole planet...

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Other than that, were you surprised by any of the results?

Yes I was. Like the commercial says "You may not think you are who you are "Or something like that.
I'm 70 years old and was told as a kid that I was 1/2 Jewish-1/4 German and 1/4 French.
According to the DNA report I'm 44 % Anasazi Jewish 9% German/French and 38% Irish/English 9% Iberian
Irish /English! Where did that come from?
Unfortunately at my age there is nobody alive to ask that question to.

Originally Posted By: marine65
The part I'm most proud of is that I have more Neanderthal DNA then 71 % of all the people they have ever tested.

Now you know why your knuckles drag the ground.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Neanderthal DNA is cool! I have something like one percent I think. But I know that a lot of 23andme is conjecture re: origins, the company seems to guess in a very left leaning way when they don't have enough statistical data. They need a bigger sample size to shut up their subjectivity and replace it with objective fact.

You know this how? "left leaning"?? What is that?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Other than that, were you surprised by any of the results?

Yes I was. Like the commercial says "You may not think you are who you are "Or something like that.
I'm 70 years old and was told as a kid that I was 1/2 Jewish-1/4 German and 1/4 French.
According to the DNA report I'm 44 % Anasazi Jewish 9% German/French and 38% Irish/English 9% Iberian
Irish /English! Where did that come from?
Unfortunately at my age there is nobody alive to ask that question to.

I'm 100% Ashkenazi. Was hoping they'd get more granular than that.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Now you know why your knuckles drag the ground.
lol.gif

I did mine around Xmas. I had a ton of German and Scandinavian in me. Thought that was cool. I have a few 'cousins' that I had a small DNA match too (4%) whom I contacted months ago and didn't get one reply from over 20 people. Why sign up for the 'family dna' part of it but not return any messages? I'm not looking to meet anyone just learn about my family, I have a very rare last name

I always wondered if those places write down random results on pieces of paper and then when you send them your money and DNA they just pull out a piece of paper from the hat and mail you those "results".

But I know that a lot of 23andme is conjecture re: origins, the company seems to guess in a very left leaning way

Could you explain this?

My dad submited a sample at my mom and aunt's request.
He was adopted and has very little info his on biological parents. Somehow they connected with local lady who is a possible cousin maybe. I dont know all the details but resemblance between her and my dad is scary. My aunt claims the lady even carries herself like my dad. Some of old her family photos had her relatives that kind of resembled myself and the children in her family photos sort of resemble mine.

Oddly, my Dad was adopted in New Orleans, her family is from Mississippi but she lives maybe 15-20 miles from my parents in the Baton Rouge area.
Small world gets smaller

Originally Posted By: silverrat
But I know that a lot of 23andme is conjecture re: origins, the company seems to guess in a very left leaning way

Could you explain this?

I could explain it very well in a PM but it relates mainly to the now-debunked 'out of Africa' theory that states that everyone originates there.
23andme sticks to that theory with some of their explanations (I can take screenshots of what they say) and then lays it on really thick.
Here's an article from 2017 regarding a discovery that agrees with what I said: http://nypost.com/2017/05/23/this-fossilized-tooth-might-prove-humans-came-from-europe-not-africa/

I could explain it very well in a PM but it relates mainly to the now-debunked 'out of Africa' theory that states that everyone originates there.
23andme sticks to that theory with some of their explanations (I can take screenshots of what they say) and then lays it on really thick.
Here's an article from 2017 regarding a discovery that agrees with what I said: http://nypost.com/2017/05/23/this-fossilized-tooth-might-prove-humans-came-from-europe-not-africa/

The theories you refer to are not credible. I have been reading about paleoanthropology for many many years. The drivel you cite is just that drivel. Don't fall for it.

If your DNA test cost less than around $1500, I wouldn't put much faith in its result. There are many ways that a sample can be tainted along it's path which alter the outcome. Without knowing the lab process, collection process and handling, you are likely to be looking at data that isn't yours.

That said, it would be interesting knowledge to have (if it is accurate).

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

You know this how? "left leaning"?? What is that?

Knuckles are heavier on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back