What synthetic resists heat/sludge the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a hot running engine which is known for its cronic sludge issues. Its a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with the VCM and it currently has a sludge problem.
I'm getting it cleaned out. Once the engine is cleaned, my main question is: Which synthetic would resist high heat / forming sludge / deposits.

I like Penzoil Ultra Platinum, but since its made 100% from Natural Gas (without any Type IV PAO's or Esthers), would it be effective in a high heat application to prevent new sludge buildup?

Is Mobil 1 a better choice, since the longer drain interval Mobil 1 formulations would have more PAO's and Esthers?

Please give me some expert advice.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
If you want the very best there is to offer I think you'd be hard pressed to beat Redline. However it's likely totally overkill for your application.

Either M1 or PP/PUP should be more than sufficient.

VCM engines tear up oil, more so the early gen ones. Following the MM with dino oil makes matters worse.

Stick to 5k mile changes using any quality syn -- HM if you want added detergency. And most importantly, install a VCMuzzler.

Trav on here has a lot of experience with VCM engines.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input.

2 quick follow up questions:

(1) Since Penzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic is made from 100% Natural gas and dosn't have any Synthetic Type IV PAO's or Esthers,
is it effective in high heat situations to prevent new sludge deposits?

(2) What is the VCMuzzler. Is it software or hardware. Where to get it / install it?

Thanks,
Bill

A 2006 may just need a High Mileage oil. Recommend M1 HM 5w30 for more seal conditioners, and synthetic basestocks do as much as possible to counter sludge formation.

Redline, kinda easy answer for what you were asking. Nothing will be better then an ester PAO base against heat, except maybe esters by themselves.

But also I would be looking at a high detergent oil as an alternative, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum comes to mind. I will say most sludgers I've seen where due to faulty pcv. You can use the cheapest oil you can find and it will out perform anything if the anything has a poorly working pcv, and the cheap oil has a good working pcv.

Originally Posted By: Bill7
Hi,

I have a hot running engine which is known for its cronic sludge issues. Its a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with the VCM and it currently has a sludge problem.
I'm getting it cleaned out. Once the engine is cleaned, my main question is: Which synthetic would resist high heat / forming sludge / deposits.

I like Penzoil Ultra Platinum, but since its made 100% from Natural Gas (without any Type IV PAO's or Esthers), would it be effective in a high heat application to prevent new sludge buildup?

Is Mobil 1 a better choice, since the longer drain interval Mobil 1 formulations would have more PAO's and Esthers?

Please give me some expert advice.

Regards,

Bill

For reference...

Esther:

esther-williams-259340-1-402.jpg

Ester:

maxresdefault.jpg

Dude - have not had enough coffee for that picture - but this whole thread contains all good options once a price point is established ...
laugh.gif

The GYM base stock used by Shell only drawback compared to PAO is artic cold weather performance. It will work just as well as M-1. Just change it at a reasonable interval.

Originally Posted By: burla
Redline, kinda easy answer for what you were asking. Nothing will be better then an ester PAO base against heat, except maybe esters by themselves.

But also I would be looking at a high detergent oil as an alternative, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum comes to mind. I will say most sludgers I've seen where due to faulty pcv. You can use the cheapest oil you can find and it will out perform anything if the anything has a poorly working pcv, and the cheap oil has a good working pcv.

Many top tier Synthetic PAO base oils,including Redline and Motul did not fair too well in the scorched earth Heat test that i linked earlier.Unless the level of/tendency to leave deposits as shown by such products,and others in this test can be attributed to something other than the base oil/oils not being able to withstand extremes of heat,i would say that the common belief that PAO Ester based oils being superior when it comes to resisting high heat is miss guided.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The GYM base stock used by Shell only drawback compared to PAO is artic cold weather performance. It will work just as well as M-1. Just change it at a reasonable interval.

With a pour point of around -50, why is this an issue? I dunno about you, but, if it gets any colder than -50 outside I'm not going to be very ambitious to go outside and start my vehicle! Doubt my work van would run, either..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back