BARIUM 0

VI 181

Soot 2

Oxi 21

Sul 25

Nit 16

V100 8.9

V40 45.3

This is my nephews truck - 2015 F150 supercrew 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost and 3.55 gears. Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 was used and the Motorcraft cartridge oil filter for about 10 months. Oil and filter were changed using the same stuff. It is used as a daily commuter mainly. It is a short interval and though TBN is high, it has sheared down to a 20 grade meaning surely that there is some fuel dilution going on. Also Si seems high, maybe still from break in... But we will be checking over the air box and filter pretty good. Any other ideas or concerns? I don't think that we should extend past 10k (6k miles) with this setup at this time.

I can understand the higher silicon level on a low mileage new vehicle, the iron seems high to me though. At ~6,000 miles the viscosity is just under the 30 weight which seems to be what happens with these Eco Boost engines, they seem to be tougher on the oil. Probably keeping to the 10,000 KM OCI is a good idea.

Whimsey

At your mileage, I think the engine is still breaking in...but the iron still seems a bit high. Maybe from all the short commutes. I'd watch it and see if it drops. You may need to shorten the OCI to a point that keeps the numbers happy. Skip mileage and think of time...maybe every 6 months.

What worries me is that the si being that high... compared to my truck (2016 F150 5.0) with similar mileage but a longer interval, tested at the same lab even and my si was at 11. And the iron is higher then mine by a little bit but at almost 3000 kms less and a much easier duty being just a commuter. Mine gets used for hauling and towing a travel trailer. So it should have had better results then mine especially with a shorter run. But him tbn was much stronger at 6, mine was below 2.

I would assume that this was just the second drain and therefore higher metals and silicon can be expected. Now that I've stated the obvious, both iron and silicon do seem a bit high. I can only agree that checking out the intake plumbing is in order. Maybe it's just break in material, but it's possible that something is loose and allowing dust to get pulled in where it shouldn't.

Then again, in the handful of reports that I've seen that showed true intake leaks, the softer metals were ground up worse than the steel parts. If the silicon was ingested dust, I think the aluminum and chromium would be much higher than what we see here. I don't know where chromium ranks in metals, but high silicon (dirt) usually causes excess ring wear as much as anything. I'm just going by reports and problems found in a friend's fleet. Still no harm in looking at the truck's intake.

Something's not firing right in the combustion chamber. But you're going to need GC and KF to see why. Only thing we can see here is some viscosity drop and not enough spark taking place.

dude. you are doing everything right. iron should keep dropping, give it some time, afew oil changes will wash out the higher numbers your watching. if not then?????????

In itself the iron and silicon ppm appears (possibly unacceptable and) very high.
Seeing it as from a 12.5k vehicle miles, the low-ish aluminium seems to suggest normal dirt ingress suggesting vehicle operates in normal condition.
High iron could likely be vehicle breaking-in as well.
Keep going as usual ...... and monitor from time to time if iron and silicon trends down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back