6.7 Powerstoke Upper Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unfortunately having my Upper Oil Pan Gasket replaced, which entails having the transmission taken out. Aside from being uneasy about the whole thing, once I get the truck back with new oil and filter should I do a short OCI run to remove any possible contaminates left in the oil from the job. Appreciate the advice.

The book does not say you have to, but that being said I would sleep better at night if I was having that repair done. Not sure if you are interested but Mag Hytec makes a lower pan for the 6.7 that looks pretty sweet.

Thanks Bdcardinal. I appreciate your input on all of this. Only good thing is this is being done under warranty. Will look into the lower pan. Anybody have any suggestions on short OCI...change at 500 miles, 1,000 after repair? Hope everyone is well.

Not sure how many miles you put on that beast. I have always done it on cars so I do the shorts OCI a week or so later.

Off Topic, one of my best friends has his 6.0 in for new heads. Normally I would look up everything on a 6.0 no problem but since it is a friends truck I have been second guessing everything. His already had studs and an EGR delete, just a random gasket failure.

I really appreciate everything. Thanks for your time. Only have 19,000. Don't put too many miles on it in the off season (as is a motorhome). Will probably drive it home 90 miles and let it sit to make sure leak is fixed...then drive again and dump oil and filter.

Also, perhaps I am being crazy...should I get an oil analysis on that new oil to determine any level of contaminants for warranty and my sanity. I have no reservations about the Ford shop (fyi)...just curious if that is smart after any major work.

Last edited:
I would think that what ever contaminates are present would be picked up and held by the filter in any oil change index.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks Bdcardinal. I appreciate your input on all of this. Only good thing is this is being done under warranty. Will look into the lower pan. Anybody have any suggestions on short OCI...change at 500 miles, 1,000 after repair? Hope everyone is well.

I understand your concern, but if the dealer puts in new oil and filter, I wouldn't hesitate to run the oil for your normal interval. I've been in your shoes several times with my big trucks. Sometimes it's having the valve cover off for valve adjustment and other times having the pan off for a new oil level sensor on a Volvo. Unless the oil is about due for a change, I just leave the same oil in and finish the oci. There's an increase of silicon in the UOA but nothing to worry about.

As long as you don't have enemies in the dealer garage, I wouldn't worry. If you're having trouble sleeping over it, then I understand if you change the oil afterwards. At least consider running the oil for a while and draw a sample to see if there's an issue first. That's much less expensive than the oil/filter change.

Thanks Dustyroads. I feel a lot better about everything. Thanks to everyone for the help. I will certainly give everyone an update once all is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back